Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

This is getting rediculous...

So apple released their 30 GB ipod, ok I can conceive that someone possibly has 30 GB of music. Now, creative is releasing a 60GB. http://www.americas.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/releases/welcome.asp?ID=334&nav=2003

Seriuosly, who has 16,000 mp3s. I have probably less then 4,000 half of which are concert recordings. Are there actually 16000 songs that an average person can recognize?

I just think this is a bit much.

While 60GB might be more than most people could use for music, you can also use the ipod (and maybe the others also) as additional storage. An external hard drive if you will. That would be handy smile

Jim

Quote:
* Heh, only problem is, I am finding that keeping HUGE data like that online on an NTFS compressed partition riding on an HighPoint 370 RAID controller as a single disk is touchy... I lose alot of files due to corruption strangely, & this has me wondering about something ChristianB said about these 8mb buffered disks losing data in fact.
APK

I remember about the time the 2Mb buffered disks came out that corruption was happening at shutdown. MS released a patch the really only delayed the shutdown by a couple seconds to allow the cache to clear before powering down. Could be something similar? Maybe try disbling the write cache on that drive for a little while to see if the corruption mysteriously disappears?

Jim

Quote:
Quote:
* Heh, only problem is, I am finding that keeping HUGE data like that online on an NTFS compressed partition riding on an HighPoint 370 RAID controller as a single disk is touchy... I lose alot of files due to corruption strangely, & this has me wondering about something ChristianB said about these 8mb buffered disks losing data in fact.
APK

I remember about the time the 2Mb buffered disks came out that corruption was happening at shutdown. MS released a patch the really only delayed the shutdown by a couple seconds to allow the cache to clear before powering down. Could be something similar? Maybe try disbling the write cache on that drive for a little while to see if the corruption mysteriously disappears?

Jim

I have never had any trouble with corruption with ntfs.

I missed the part on compression. I don't know anything about it so I can't really comment on that. I have used it a little on my laptop for some text files but I have never really messed too much with it with it. My desktop had a 120 gb hardrive so that was less of a concern. (It is in the process of a RMA after two months though and I am seriously pissed off about that). Hard drives are often less then $1 a GB. So don't see the compression remaining a big factor in future versions of Windows.

I noticed that you are using a RAID array, I assume you are using striping. Do you think you could just have a bad hard drive?

I don't know if you are overclocking your system or not but I have heard of many reports of hard drive corruption as a result.

Anyway, you probably knew all that.

PS

And for using the nomad as an external hard drive. From what I saw, it had no firewire support. I just still don't get it. I havn't heard the greatest about creative's mp3 player quality either.

I have no problem filling my 40GB maxtor with mp3's. The problem is that I don't have time to organize them and burn them on to CD's.

About filling so much songs 24,570,108 songs 1,919,818 CDs (CDDB.com).

No idea how much songs my collection has, but some of my friends go well over 60GB.

I have to suggest here to uncompress the drive. If you are filing it up with compressed media files, ntfs compression will be all but useless.

Quote:
I have no problem filling my 40GB maxtor with mp3's. The problem is that I don't have time to organize them and burn them on to CD's.

No idea how much songs my collection has, but some of my friends go well over 60GB.

Do you seriously know and like all the songs though? If so, then I guess you have shown me that there is a market for this product. If not, would it really be worth it to have skip 10-15 songs that you don't know or don't like to get to one you do?

It's all about storage. justbecuase it can play mp3's doesnt mean you need to fill 60 gigs mp3's on it. Its also 60 gig of storage for any files. this is an excellent feature.

If it could only hold mp3 files it would be rediculously large.

Quote:
It's all about storage. justbecuase it can play mp3's doesnt mean you need to fill 60 gigs mp3's on it. Its also 60 gig of storage for any files. this is an excellent feature.

If it could only hold mp3 files it would be rediculously large.

It just seems like there would be better options for both of these features. I don't see it and probably never will. smile

If I was looking to get a large removeable drive, and there were 2 on the shelf. One of them plays mp3's and one of them doesnt.

Which is a better product?

Quote:
If I was looking to get a large removeable drive, and there were 2 on the shelf. One of them plays mp3's and one of them doesnt.

Which is a better product?

Well there is a significant price difference. I have seen 80GB for $150 as opposed to the $400 for this product. Best product is different from best buy.

Quote:
Quote:

Do you seriously know and like all the songs though? If so, then I guess you have shown me that there is a market for this product. If not, would it really be worth it to have skip 10-15 songs that you don't know or don't like to get to one you do?

if i got all my mp3s off cd's i have well over 200+ gigs+ the 50g i have on my HD right now smile i think that sums that up.

And yes i do like them all - i lvoe hard house / house / progressive / underground / hard trance - i often just put the full 50g into winamp and hit play - i listen to it all! and if i don't like a track / cd - i delete it and i still have the 200+g on d's and 50g on my comp now and probably add about 1 -3 g's a day of new mp3s

smile

Quote:

It just seems like there would be better options for both of these features. I don't see it and probably never will. smile

I really think you're being a little narrow minded about this... I mean really, the possibilities are endless http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,50688,00.html on this sort of thing wink

Jim

Quote:
Quote:

I could say I could name the artist and the song at least 20GB of them. Don't try me though. smile I must say I like at least half of my mp3's and that's why I have them.

Quote:
Quote:

I really think you're being a little narrow minded about this... I mean really, the possibilities are endless http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,50688,00.html on this sort of thing wink

Jim

and THERE is a reason macs can suck! - no reg files - just copy it over and tadda!!! it works on any other system! - u can't do that with the majority of PC applications smile - there is Apple's great technology bitting them selves in the ass!

The upside is that with no reg files theres one less thing to get in a tangle requiring a complete reformat to straighten out again...

Quote:

and THERE is a reason macs can suck! - no reg files - just copy it over and tadda!!! it works on any other system! - u can't do that with the majority of PC applications smile - there is Apple's great technology bitting them selves in the ass!

I guess this just highlights whats more important for a vendor in regards to thier users

Apple... how can we make the computer experience a little friendlier for the user? Some people will rip us off, so be it. Our focus is making it friendlier for our legit users.

Microsoft... How can we make it more difficult for people to rip us off? If it inconveniences a some legitimate customers, so be it. No returns on opened software.

Personally I'm of the some people will rip us off, so be it group. Most people are honest some are not. I can't think of a single time that any form of technology designed to stop me from stealing software has helped me out... in any way whatsoever. I can hower think of several times said technology has tried to stop me from doing something legitimate.

Jim

Actually - good points smile

personaly, even macs the way they are - i think they have far less traded illegal software - so even though it is easier - it is also harder to "find" MAC software.

Yes, MAC's are for people who like things easy, personaly i enjoy the challenge of a PC - i feel i have FAR superious control over my computer in ever aspect then MAC's seem to offer - this though only with my experience of MAC O/S 8.6? and below......

Quote:
Quote:

I guess this just highlights whats more important for a vendor in regards to thier users

Apple... how can we make the computer experience a little friendlier for the user? Some people will rip us off, so be it. Our focus is making it friendlier for our legit users.

Microsoft... How can we make it more difficult for people to rip us off? If it inconveniences a some legitimate customers, so be it. No returns on opened software.

Personally I'm of the some people will rip us off, so be it group. Most people are honest some are not. I can't think of a single time that any form of technology designed to stop me from stealing software has helped me out... in any way whatsoever. I can hower think of several times said technology has tried to stop me from doing something legitimate.

Jim

Yeah, they make up for the "some people will rip us off, so be it" part by plowing their users with insanely high hardware costs and having to trash your comp every couple of years just to "upgrade" (not really an upgrade, but rather a replacement). And then they take all that extra money from having a slower, more expensive system sale and develop an even prettier, slower, and more expensive system to sell the sucker..., I mean user in two years. Considering I keep systems about 3-4 years before I give them to friends and family (where they use it for a while) I think I would rather stick with Windows or *nix. But hey, their systems do come in cool colors, and that's important, right? wink

Quote:
But hey, their systems do come in cool colors, and that's important, right? wink

To some I'm sure it is. I liken it to "the journey is more important than the destination" mentality myself. A lot of mac people I know would fit in that category. I'm a pc user myself, but I do own a mac also. I needed to have one to learn how to use it and network it with Windows machines for a couple of my customers. There is a certain charm to them. But pound for pound I get more out of a pc.

I think if someone (like the ever popular Grandma you always hear about) needs or wants a computer and doesn't need things that are specific to a pc then a mac is a great way to go. All the basic multimedia stuff is there, internet, e-mail, etc. If they want to do any basic video editing, or digital camera stuff... that stuff is way easier on a mac. No viuses to speak of either. Macs actually do have a bit going for them. They're obviously not for everyone though. smile

Jim

They do look cool, and I am sure that there are some things that they do simply (plus they are *the* platform for recording and graphic artists) but Apple is flat out too stuck up with them and they rely on having a dedicated user base to keep their prices so lofty. While I have used them as well, I could just setup a cheap PC using Debian and make it very, very easy for the proverbial soccermom or grandma to send email, browse the web, and write letters using Fluxbox as the interface. Not only that, but up[censored] and patching these systems is very easy, and many of the applications used can be patched in the same manner as the core distro (unlike Windows Update that can only patch the OS and a few apps, like IE and Movie Maker). Either the user could do it, or the user could just get online and another (probably a son or daughter) could even SSH in and do all the updates remotely, and more than likely not needing to reboot. Now, while there is the issue of needing someone that can setup this scenario for the user, other distros are doing similar things already (Xandros, Lindows, etc.) and can do it all with varying levels of support and a reduced cost. The argument of the Apple OS being "more user friendly" is fighting a losing battle to the cheaper contenders, and is one less reason to buy a Mac.

^^^^^ not to mention the extreme lack of new hardware you can actually buy to customize a MAC smile - another reason againts why to buy a MAC smile

Quote:
^^^^^ not to mention the extreme lack of new hardware you can actually buy to customize a MAC smile - another reason againts why to buy a MAC smile

Actually most PC hardware works perfectly on the current MACs,and anybody who has used MacOs X Will probably dismiss 90% of what you hear. As for age, I still have the LCII I bought years back, but somehow I seem unable to use my 8086 with any friendly software. Maybe I need more RAM or a larger MRM hard disk. Easy to get? Right.