Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

Partitioning for best xp install

I just lost a 120MB hard drive. I now have to do a fresh install and am wanting suggestions on how to partition and install XP Pro to get the best results.

Is it possible to mount drives as folders? For example, can I put all my program folders in partition D: and mount it to "c:/program files"? I have heard something about this but I might have it backwards (mount a folder as a drive).

i am not sure about the mouting part but this is how i got my system partitioned,

120g WD-

C: - 8.25g - Windows / drivers / norton

D: - 19.8g - Programs - as in games, nero, ICQ - other programs i install

E: - 78.3g - Downloads - drivers, little apps, games etc

F: - 5g - Virtual memory drive / PS scratch disk

2nd 120g

120g (111g) - all my movies / console games

and that is it

Quote:
I just lost a 120MB hard drive. I now have to do a fresh install and am wanting suggestions on how to partition and install XP Pro to get the best results.
Is it possible to mount drives as folders? For example, can I put all my program folders in partition D: and mount it to "c:/program files"? I have heard something about this but I might have it backwards (mount a folder as a drive).

It looks like you can do that with the dynamic disks feature. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314343 Be sure to look around for more info on it since it looks like there are a few gotchas if you're not careful. Another good place to look around is in the Windows help files under disk management.

Jim

You can mount a drive into a ntfs folder. It can also be a removable drive. I mount my digital camera and my card reader like that (d:\media\CF) so they don't show up in my computer.

Righ click on my computer, select manage, go to Disk Management, right click on a drive, select change drive letter and path..., select add ...

Haven't tried to mount a disk as program files. I reconfigured my e: drive as program files, but it still puts some files on c:. It's a good idea. Maybe I'll try it on my next setup smile

My sugestion would be:

C: 20GB NTFS (must be ntfs if you wan't to mount)

D: 40GB FAT32 or NTFS mounted as program files

E: 55GB FAT32 or NTFS for downloads movies ...

F: 5BGB (or what's left) FAT32 or NTFS mounted as C:\temp for tem swap...

I think you can leave the drive letters or you could remove the drive letters d: and f: (don't know what will happen if you have a swap file on f: and try to remove it) and change e: into d: (You can have a drive mounted more than once I think)

This is just a quick sugestion, but you could try something in that direction.

Post back on what you did and how it went.

Quote:
You can mount a drive into a ntfs folder. It can also be a removable drive. I mount my digital camera and my card reader like that (d:\media\CF) so they don't show up in my computer.

Righ click on my computer, select manage, go to Disk Management, right click on a drive, select change drive letter and path..., select add ...

Haven't tried to mount a disk as program files. I reconfigured my e: drive as program files, but it still puts some files on c:. It's a good idea. Maybe I'll try it on my next setup smile

My sugestion would be:
C: 20GB NTFS (must be ntfs if you wan't to mount)
D: 40GB FAT32 or NTFS mounted as program files
E: 55GB FAT32 or NTFS for downloads movies ...
F: 5BGB (or what's left) FAT32 or NTFS mounted as C:\temp for tem swap...

I think you can leave the drive letters or you could remove the drive letters d: and f: (don't know what will happen if you have a swap file on f: and try to remove it) and change e: into d: (You can have a drive mounted more than once I think)

This is just a quick sugestion, but you could try something in that direction.

Post back on what you did and how it went.

That is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try it on my temporary drive right and then decide whether to put it on my main one when (and if) I get it back.

Glad I could help. Hope getting a larger drvie soon myself.

what are the advantages of having all these different partitions? is there any proof that this helps at all?

andy

Andy it doesn't help, but if one of your partitions become corrupted the it WILL help laugh.

I never put my documents or any other important stuff on c:.

I also like to put my swap file on a special drive (not whetre my documents are).

In most cases when windows screws up, the partition that windows is installed on is most likley to get corrupted (my experience). And if you have a dynamic swap file it can get corrupted too.

BTW backing up your data is still the safets way although I don't use it as often as I should smile

Well I finally got my hard drive. I started the partitioning and such. It appears that windows will only let you mount a drive to an empty directory. Some files in the Program Files directory cannot be moved while windows is running so that makes the mounting to Program FIles dificult. THe only wany I can think to do this is to either boot into dos and try or to make a floppy with a linux kernal on it and do it from there. It might just be worth it to just use a folder called "Programs" and just keep my third party apps seperate from the windows apps.

Another major benefit to having them on seperate partitions that hasn't been mentioned comes with reinstalling windows. After a certain amount of time windows just gets slow and needs to be reinstalled. Having all your non-system files on a seperate partition makes it easier to get everything back the way you had it.