Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Namarie

Has anyone gotten Epic:Final Liberation to work in XP?

Well, one of those days when I felt I wanted to fire up Epic again, just bought a new computer with XP, and gawd dang nabbit, hardly any of my old gems work! :\

But, there is one in particular that I want to play, Epic:Final Liberation. On the site it says something about a ini file, which is non-existant (yes, I do have show all filetypes on, not a complete n00b).

So, I wonder, is there anyone out there that has gotten it to work under XP?

The game launches, but it crashes after intromovie with some strange memory read error, no compability mode works, and there aint no ini file to disable movies.. I guess it could be the outdated smackplay it uses, but I'm not sure.

Anyone? smile

TY for the linkage.. posted it over there and on underdogs too.. :P

Got a solution over at Hounddogs, courtesy to the original author of this:

Warhammer Final Liberation -winxp

The reason that you couldn't find epic.ini is because the game creates it after it's first run. But you can't get the first run to work because it doesn't like the .smk files.

Catch-22.

This is epic.ini....

[Options]

MusicVol=100

FX_Volume=127

MV_Volume=127

UseGrid=0

DoVideo=0

WatchAI=0

AutoSave=1

...just open notepad and copy and paste the above, save the file as ""epic.ini"" (make sure it doesn't end up as epic.ini.txt) and place it in the game's main directory.

And the game should work.

Good Luck!

Np.. it was from the underdogs btw.. not hounddogs.. lol.. craving one of those tunamelts a bit too much.. :P

BTW, vogons mods, yes, they are a bit.. harsh...

But, I wondered, anyone one could swap out the smack player and be able to watch the movies still? They did kinda rock some of them.. =)

Regarding Smackply in FINAL LIBERATION:

You may not be able to view videos during the game, but you can view them outside of the game.

I figured this out when I went to cmd (in WinXP) and typed smackply /?, there are a lot of command line parameters available.

What I found through trial and error is that when you disable 32 bit banking the video plays, although the sound is a bit choppy.

The actual command line to be typed is:

smackply /w2 (name of video file) such as credits.smk

I hope this helps those who enjoyed the video scenes in FINAL LIBERATION.

Have Fun.

Final Note: If there was a way to add this parameter to smackply on game start then maybe the video scenes would play, who knows!!!!

Update: I found an easier way to view videos, download Rad Video Tools for free. No typing needed to play vids!!!!!!!!!!