Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DS3Circuit

Binks stuff

Quote:
Heh, that's cool... a "mini NT/2k/XP" environment run from a Cd-Rom bootup!

* Practical uses?

smile

(In other words on my question, HOW would YOU use it, if you had to use it?)

APK

P.S.=> Still, someone went & got 'creative' with the given tools they had to work with, & that's cool by me... I downloaded it, but am thinking to myself "How would I use such a bootup from Cd-Rom partial & shaved down NT based Os environment?"... apk

First thing that comes to mind for me is when the system wont boot and you just want to get the data off before you reformat. Hook up a laptop or another computer with a crossed over cat5 cable and just copy your stuff over to a share on the other computer temporarily.

Jim

Quote:

That's handy IF you don't use encryption OR 'radical changes' to the NTFS filesystem rights.

The networking layer'd probably get you by that though... think so, if you do it over a small rigged-up LAN like you describe, & simple file sharing is in place etc.?

(Neat, if that's actually part of it, still being able to hookup to a LAN & nab your stuff!)

APK

Yea, you'd be kinda hosed if your hard drive is encrypted. The networking won't care about the encryption but the disk you're booting off of and trying to mount your hard drive with the data sure will. At the very least I would expect you'd be able to do more with this bootable cd as far as recovery type stuff goes than you currently can with the recovery console on the Win2k/xp cd. Thankfully I haven't had to do much with the recovery console, but the few times I did I found it a bit lacking as far as I was concerned.

Jim