Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Why should you use Mozilla Firebird?

Well noone can truly switch unless of course they do not go to any MS proprietary IE sites. You'll still have to load up IE occasionaly to browse those sites. Also consider that fact that IE is built-in to the OS and those are really the main 2 factors that stop people from using other browsers. No matter how usefull the other browsers are compared to IE.

I would never be able to persuade my superiors into leaving IE for a third party browser ....

Image using OWA, in a corporate environment, in "Lite" mode and not "Rich" mode ..... certainly wouldnt be able to get that to pass beyond the drawing board.

On the other hand, for a Mac ..... IE is just plain horrible, I generally press Mozilla and Safari (even in Beta) onto the users of that platform.

My $0.02 smile

Hi Alec and Gang,

Thanks for letting me know more about Phoenix I've often wondered what the heck it was all about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has a more Opera-like tab behavior? Currently I find the tabbed behavior in Mozilla only partially apealing. Isn't Phoenix less stable than Mozilla? I thought it was slower too, but based on your description it sounds faster than Mozilla? Is that so? Also what features have you noticed are missing from Phoenix that were in Mozilla? What was the last version of Mozilla you used?

Also can an IE 6 user comment on some of the differences between Mozilla and IE 6?

Thanks,

Christian

Also what's up with Opera and the adware? Is it easy to remove? Can someone point me at an article on how to do so? Or can Ad-Aware take care of it automatically?

Thanks,

Christian

Also I don't really mind adware if it's just. I can tolerate ads in the program I'm using if they're small enough. If the adware pops up even when I'm not using the application I simply won't have any part of it. That'd be like watching the simpsons and then from then on having to watch an add every 20 minutes for the rest of the evening even though you're now watching a rented video.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
Hi Alec and Gang,
Thanks for letting me know more about Phoenix I've often wondered what the heck it was all about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has a more Opera-like tab behavior? Currently I find the tabbed behavior in Mozilla only partially apealing. Isn't Phoenix less stable than Mozilla? I thought it was slower too, but based on your description it sounds faster than Mozilla? Is that so? Also what features have you noticed are missing from Phoenix that were in Mozilla? What was the last version of Mozilla you used?

Also can an IE 6 user comment on some of the differences between Mozilla and IE 6?
Thanks,
Christian

As far as the tabs go, I have never used mozilla and only briefly used opera. I am very happy with the tabbed browsing features of firebird though. As for stablilty, the latest (.06) should be very stable. I have only used it for a couple of hours but it has givin me no problems. Even the nightly versions tha I have been using before have givin me no problems.

From what I understand, phoenix uses the same core code as mozilla so I don't think rendering should be any faster. However, memory usage is WAY down so that speeds up the app.

The developers of mozilla want to get away from the all-in-one current mozilla. Fireird is meant to be a light browser and just that. Any feature that is not found in the basic browser can be found in an extension. Eventually, it will be THE Mozilla browser.

Being as it's just over a 6MB download, it is very worth a look.

man I just switched to Firebird and this browser is nice. I was using Opera, but I think i like this a little bit better when you get some of the plugins for it.