Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

Email server

Ok this may seem a little complicated but I'll try to explain.

I've just installed an email server on my machine with 10 different mailboxes.

I've got another piece of software that collects the POP email from the ISP and delivers it to the correct mailbox on the email server. At the moment I've got it set up to collect the email from 10 different email accounts on the ISP, and then deliver them to the correct 10 mailboxes on the email server. This works fine, but...

I should be able to just pick up all the email from ONE POP account on the ISP, then let the email server split different addresses into different mailboxes...this way I could create my own mailboxes internally here, without having to buy extra POP accounts from the ISP.

How do I do this? Do I need to speak to my ISP and get them to change anything? The software (POPcon) that picks up the email from the ISP can forward it to a specific address on the mail server, that's what its doing at the moment. Is it possible to just collect all the email at e.g. anything@domain.com then get the mail server to split it into serperate mailboxes.

The mail server I'm using is MailEnable.

FREDDY

You can arrange with your ISP to have "anythingatall@domain.com" to go right to your mailserver, at which point your mailserver will sort it all out.

as long as you own domain.com that is.

What im not understanding is, if you own domain.com, and domain.com points to your static IP address via global DNS, then email would go straight to your mailserver anyways.

unless you have some weird arrangement with your ISP.....

Need more info probably.

I've read about proxies that can wrap mail (using a syntax such as localaddress[internetaddress]) and forward it to several local accounts using only one real email account but it's an awkward way of doing it. Much better would be altering the MX record for your domain (assuming you have one) to point to your mail server (which is what I think duhmez meant). That way you won't need a single POP account with the ISP as mail will be automatically forwarded to your server and forwarded to the correct account locally.