Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

The "Unsinkable Titanic" of servers

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...603/tc_nf/21652

This is pretty interesting. It dosen't provide many details (being from yahoo and all.) I am sure there are more details out there though. It claims to be a server that cannot be hacked. Apparently they had a contest to see who could hack it and nobody was able to. I doubt that serious hackers would participate in it though. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how well it holds up when it is finally in use.

It's also a non-standard OS, with a very specific kernel - so commonly known hacking techniques would probably not work. I imagine that the kind of people who tried to hack it were "script kiddies" - using generic, buffer-overflow type scenarios. Like it says in the article, "Proper" hackers (i.e. people that know what they're doing) are unlikely to try.

Also, there is no such thing as an invulnerable OS, because you can never imagine all the types of attack an OS may come under...

Rgds

AndyF

I agree, this is definitely the way forward - I think we'll start to see a move away from big, catch-all operating systems (which are now becoming too large to manage properly and securely, no matter how well you train your programmers) towards smaller, more specific OSs - which, because they're smaller, will be easier to manage, and easier to ensure that they're bug-free and secure.

Rgds

AndyF

This isn't the future for most of us

Too expexsive and propietary.

I think you will see NOS's that are modular

You basically install only whats needed for your orgaization and nothing more.

So instead of having a server with everything installed you your web server you only have the web server part, and everything else removed.

And so on with other services.

THe day of having a Server be all things at once is coming to an end though, unless your a small business.

the ONLY none hackable server is one that is not connected to the internet!!!

period - end of story - if it can be made, it can be broke.