Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

Windows Programming

I know next to nothing about windows programming. That is something that they don't teach much about where I attend. What exactly does a dll file do?

This is what I'd like to do. I want to write a very small application (preferably in c/c++) that integrates into the right-click menu. I want to be able to select a folder or multiple mp3 files and create a playlist. Would a dll be able to accomplish this? If so do you know of a site that gives a tutorial on the basics of this? I have searched several times to no avail.

Thanks

Quote:
Quote:
I know next to nothing about windows programming.
* Recommended = Borland Delphi 7.0 or Borland C++ Builder 5.0 : Kylix is both of them in one box

Are either of these free? I have used Borland's Free version of JBuilder for java developement and was very impressed with it (aside from the issues with it running in the JVM)

Quote:

(If you code in other languages, or other platforms & have put some time into it... you'll realize it's not so much syntax as it is CONCEPTS you have to know to do the task in one language/tool vs. another... you have to know the task @ hand, how to do it in one language & then you can ask the questions in the others... the RIGHT questions!)

It's not the actual syntax that I am wondering about, its the integration with the shell. I have no clue where to start there.

Quote:

That is something that they don't teach much about where I attend. What exactly does a dll file do?

Quote:

I like to think of them as executeable programs that cannot launch themselves, but need other programs to call their functions for them to run (most times, they run in SAME process/memory space as calling app, called "In-Process" load... there are "Out-Of-Process" loading ones, I don't use them & have yet to do so, no need!)

Quote:
This is what I'd like to do. I want to write a very small application (preferably in c/c++) that integrates into the right-click menu.

That's done via namespace GUIDS... those LONG registry numbers you see! Iirc, Borland Delphi AND Borland C++ ship examples of this with CopyTo & MoveTo .DLL's you can build that integrate into rightclick on files & folders in fact!

Borland C++ Builder 5.0 or 6.0 would be excellent for you...

It even compiles Delphi code!

I am not sure I understand here. I think I just need to pull some sample code off the web. I'll see if there is a free version of one of those out there. I am in need of a slightly more modern C compiler for windows anyway.

Quote:

* And, it's always work... an f'ing grind, every program I have ever written of any type of size or function... everytime. It's work!

APK

P.S.=> If it's SUCH a grind... why do I do it? Pays for one... money is decent usually, hard mental work that actually tires you out & many times frustrates the HECK outta you (especially building new type of tools vs. stuff you did before & debugging is a PAIN, lots of things to consider... user patterns, other software & other type of Os (9x vs. NT for example) & also logic & event handlers & more... memory & CPU use, man list just goes on & on)... debugging/maintenancing others' work is tough too, but many times you learn new things this way... lots of work here too.
You know, that can be the case. That's part of the attraction for me though. You have this problem that your rack yourself over and when you solve it, you actually have something to show for it.

So I gave Borland C++ Builder 6.0 a shot. I havn't had time to do much more then fool around with it for about an hour but I am very impressed. I havn't quite figured out how to see the code behind the forms as I could in JBuilder and that makes me nervous. I have just made part of a simlpe text-editor interface in the tutorial. I am impressed with the "standard actions" (or whatever they are called.) My main gripe is that it doesn't have the toolbar images that the tutorial says it does.

I am not sure how much hte full version costs but it is probably more then I am willing to spend so I don't know that I'll use it after the 60 day trial.