Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

RJ45 pin Config?

Ok just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a website that shows how to wire a RJ45 plug with some cat5e cable?!!

prob very simple! but i don't wann get it wrong!!

thanks very much in advance!

:x

Although theoretically it doesn't matter how you wire a Cat5 cable - just as long as you have the same order at each end! Electrons couldn't care less what colour wire they're travelling down laugh

And, yes, before anyone wades in talking about standards, I know what the standards are, and I make all my cables to the standard when I make them for work ;(

Rgds

AndyF

Actually, over distance if you don't use them in the proper pairs (you can mix them a little, but there are "minimum" standards) you get signal bounce issues. I had a maintenance guy that kept insisting the same thing, yet every time he made a run over 75ft. the connection would intermittently work at best, with a ton of collisions. Once we would wire both ends to either A or B, it was fine.

The point of the twisted pairs is to reduce interference. Each pair has a plus and minus which form a complete current loop. The point of twisting the wires together is to minimize the loop area, which is the total area between the wires. Large loop area is bad because it allows inductive effects from outside EM signals to interfere with the transmitting signal. Minimizing the loop minimizes the effect. Also, each twist reverses the direction that fields are passing through the loop, so even with the small area still present, the effects will somewhat cancel out.

This is also why the order of the pairs matters... if you were to pair the Tx+ and Rcv+ together, and the Tx- and Rcv- together, then the loop area between Tx+ and Tx- is the same as if they weren't twisted at all. However, by twisting Tx+ and Tx- together, and Rcv+ and Rcv- together, then each loop is kept as small as possible, giving the best signal transmission from one end to the other.

With short runs of cable, the extra interference from NOT taking advantage of the twisted pairs is probably not going to hurt you. But as the cable gets longer, that extra loop area begins to add up, and you will have more and more interference to deal with.

Besides, it's just as easy to do it the right way as it is the wrong way, so you may as well do it right and not have to worry about it...

yeah i wanted the standard way of wiring them. I know the electrons do not mind what colour the plastic coating the cable has but i like to do things properly! and as i am learning how to do it i may as well learn the right way!

thanks again

RF