Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Advice on a Switch / Hub?? - need to buy one

Hey all

i am in the market for a Switch

it needs to be @ least 10 port - 100base switch.

we currently have a hub from a router - but the router is a router/hub, no switch and frankly the amount of times the red traffic light it on is almost constatnly, so i want to invest in a switch to take off some traffic as our network is slow!!!

So, any advice on a good Switch that has @ least 10 ports and is 100base?

Firstly, good call on purchasing a switch. This will isolate broadcast traffice per vlan, thereby increasing the amount of available bandwidth.

In the market for something with a CatOS? Cisco 2900s and/or 2900XL should meet your needs.

Both are great for access layer connectivity, support STP, 802.11q, 802.11p, etherchannel, ISL, and so on. Some of the 2900s also support multilayer switching.

2900XL come with 24 port 10/100

2900 come with24/48 port 10/100

If your budget doesnt encompass Cisco, Dell PowerConnects have received an honorable mention from those in my group. And of course, if this is more of a SOHO thing, Linksys and Netgear are ok as well.

Please feel free to ask if I have missed something.

I agree Dell is a good buy if funds are an issue.

I also recommend looking at 3COM products.

We replaced an old Cisco Router with a 3com and it works great

Was much cheaper too

About the 3com equipment:

A lot of the core switch and local switch components are no longer supported.

1100, 3300, Net and Core Builders, and several of our access concentrators needed to be replaced due to the the above issue.

Just so ya know ....

yeah - price is "somewhat" of an issue - i will likely be buying this myself and then expensing it as we do need it, and i know if i get it and put it in, they wouyld pay for it - but asking them and waiting and waiting and waitng, they forget!

shall check out the dells

any model particularly?