Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atreyu

Win2k3 Domain Controller on Existing Win2k3 Domain

Greetings all...

I'm trying to promote a Windows Server 2003 server to become an Active Directory controller on an existing Windows 2000 network. The process works for a little while, then begins giving me error messages similar to those Exchange 2000 gives when working with AD. I'm required to do Forestpreps and Domainpreps etc, but even those aren't working for me. The network has 3 domain controllers, all Windows 2000, and all are Global Catalogs.

I've checked MSDN and Technet and havn't found much that is helping. If anybody has any pointers, or step-by-steps that would be great.

Are you using the built in wizard to promote it?

and can you give the specific error or symptoms

If you use the Manage your Server Applet which should start by default, and promote it from there, you shouldn't have any issues. You have to make sure your DNS is correct though.

You can also read the help files under "review the next step for this role" using the same applet.

I did it usinc DCPROMO. I'll have to give it another shot and capture the error messages so it may be a day or so until I can post a reply. Thanks..

A couple of things come to mind?

1. DNS setup as AD integrated with Dynamic Updates being allowed?

2. If not stop and restart the Netlogon service on the working DCs to recreate SRV records in DNS.

3. Correct IP addresses, including DNS?

4. Event log information would be great to diagnose errors?

5. Did you run nltest and other AD verification tools found on the win2003 cd under support tools

Windows 2003 Deployment Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsnetserver/evaluate/cpp/reskit/default.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324753

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816106

This should get you started.

Quote:
I'm trying to promote a Windows Server 2003 server to become an Active Directory controller on an existing Windows 2000 network

Another point

Did you run ADPREP.EXE on your existing Windows 2000 DC to extend the schema from 13 to 30 (version numbers here). ADPREP is on the win2003 cd in the i386 CD.

EDIT

I corrected the above version numbers..... it was reading 13 for both numbers. It has now been corrected. My apologies.

Ok here's what I'm getting. It's pretty straightforward, but I remember trying to run thee tools to no avail. Anyways..

The Operation failed because:

The Active Directory Installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. Use the Adprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain. For more information about using ADprep, see Active Directory Help.

"The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer."

Between this message and the message from DS3, maybe I can figure it out. I coulda sworn I did all that before though. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

If you are planning on upgrading from a 2000 Directory Service to a 2003 Directory Service, you must first run a utility called adprep.exe.  The Adrep utility must be run on an existing Windows 2000 Domain and the user has to be logged on as an Enterprise Administrator and must also be able to modify the schema of Active Directory.  AdPrep prepares a Windows 2000 Active Directory for the migration.  If you are upgrading from NT 4 to 2003, there is no need to use AdPrep as no Directory exists in NT 4.  This utility extends the schema for 2003.  ADPrep can be found on the Windows 2003 Server CD and must be run in two phases on a 2000 Domain Controller before a 2003 Server can be made a domain controller.  Phase one is with the /ForestPrep switch and you guessed it, it prepares the schema of the forest.  Stage two of the utility is with the /DomainPrep switch and runs a lot faster.

Piece of Cake smile

Ok I figured out what it was... before I was having problems with both forestprep and domainprep, then after some research I discovered that these utilities can only be run against the AD controller designated as the schema master. When I originally was loading Server 2003, I was reloading a machine that was previously designated the schema master, and was drying to run adprep on the other domain controllers without any luck. So, I tried loading a separate machine with 2k3, leaving my schema master in place. I ran adprep on the schema master, let it propagate, and I was good to go.

Thanks for all your help.

I just realized, the title for this thread is all wrong. What I was trying to do all along is promote a W2K3 AD server on an existing W2K AD, not W2K3.