Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tolden

Audigy 2 + digital 5.1

I have had an audigy, now I own an audigy 2, I have a sony infrared headephones with 5.1 emulation, but only through digital (optical) spdif. When I plug the DVD to the headphones, the "DTS" or the "Digital 5.1" led lights, but when playing a game through the digital out of the audigy, the headphones do not detect 5.1 channels, so I have stereo.

Is there any way to play 5.1 games through the digital spdif out of the board?

No. The audigy cannot do this. Only the NFORCE motherboard can "encode" directsound 3d into 5.1 Dolby Digital. I think Dolby charges $25/motherboard - that would prohibit a $70 soundcard from having that license.

Quote:
No. The audigy cannot do this. Only the NFORCE motherboard can "encode" directsound 3d into 5.1 Dolby Digital. I think Dolby charges $25/motherboard - that would prohibit a $70 soundcard from having that license.

Well if this is the case, some of us, I would imagine, wouldn't have any problems paying a little extra to have this feature on the Audigy, or even an the Audigy 3 when it comes out laugh

As for me, I just payed for a great Sennheiser set, the HD497 model. They beat the crap outta my old Koss pair wink