Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

ICS using dial up in 2k can't see host or call on dialup

I have read the M$ KB articles on ICS and dial up, but can't get the client to call the dial up on the Host (Gateway) computer through a wireless NIC/router setup.

I looked at the settings and both are on the same domain name, both have the IP address set for automatic. ICS is enabled on the host.

The setup is:

Win 2k

Host (Gateway, tower box) wired NIC

Client (Laptop box) wireless NIC

Compaq CP-2W router.

Dial up ISP.

Host can see client, but client CAN'T see host or call up the dialup.

Dialup works from host ok.

What am I missing? Hope this makes sense.

Doesn't the ICS gateway computer's NIC have to be assigned to 192.168.0.1 and all clients to auto?

Also, the host has to be configured to allow a remote computer to dial. I think it's a checkbox in modem properties, can't recall.

What no Comtrash fans out there??

Others have said that I need to disable DHCP and when I did I get this deal:

This menu item:

Access Point Setup;

that switches it from a-

Internet Router+Wireless Access Point or a-

Access Point Only (disable DHCP Server)

I switched to the 2nd entry and it changed the Internet Connection Method screen from PPPoE to Static IP.

I tried entering in the IP of the host (192.168.1.11) as the "Internet IP", "Default Gateway" and the "DNS Server", but it would let me stating it had a "Invalid DNS Server address". I also tried 192.168.1.1 as the DNS Server address, but that didn't work either.

Then I set the DNS address to 0.0.0.0 and it complainted that the "IP address can't be the local host address or multicast address".

The default setting of the IP address is 127.0.0.1 and default gateway is 127.0.0.2

If I change the IP address of the wired NIC to 127.0.0.1 would that work?

All of these options and it can't do a (what I consider) a simple dialup connection!

BTW, $$ is a issue also since that is why he dropped Cable.............