Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Modem Problem

Hi, just today my dial-up connection was working fun but later in the day it wouldn't work. In the morning it worked fun, then I tried it in the afternoon, the connection is established but it won't go anywhere. It can't connect to any websites. I assumed it was just a minor problem and just left it. But I tried it again and nothing again, I also tried my other ISP and that one had the same result. Then I tried it on another computer and it worked. Everything was connecting correctly and it was the same ISP. I go back to my original computer and connection is established but it can't go anywhere. I don't know what's wrong. The only think I installed was MSN 6 but I don't think that did anything because when I first installed it and restarted the computer my connection was still fine. So can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Make the connection with the computer again and check your IP, DNS, and default gateway. You can do this by typing 'ipconfig /all' (without the quotes) at a command prompt in 2000/xp or 'winipcfg' in 9x. Make sure you have a valid IP for your ISP, the DNS ip(s) are correct, and the default gateway IP is correct. If all looks right then try to ping a website (like www.google.com) by name. If that fails then try to ping Google by IP (216.239.39.99). If this works then you have a DNS problem. If this failes then you have a default gateway problem. You can try to release the IP you have and renew for a new one.