Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

Email

I'm doing some work for a company, they have a database of over 5000 email addresses of existing customers, they've all given permission to receive email updates.

They want to send them occasional newsletters. There is not the need for dedicated software to do this as its not going to be a very regular thing. It's proven more difficult then I thought it would be. I got all the addresses into an address book and inserted them in the BCC email field in Outlook Express (all this took quite some time!). When attempting to send (again, after some time!), it failed saying to many recipients. Is this a restriction on my email server maybe? Or is there just a limit to the number of recipients you can send an email to. Is there any free software or some easy method of emailing this number of people?

Thanks.

FREDDY

Yes on the first one, most ISP's have a policy against sending to too many recipients via one email, this equates to spam to them. Ask this client the name of the provider and talk to them about how many the mail server will accept before rejecting it, you may find it to be pretty low, like say 25 or even 10 wink

Also talk to their provider about perhaps setting up a hosted forum and/or newsletter via the provider. Many of them have this kind of service where users will need to sign up to receive a periodic newletter or mailing as it can be called.

As for OE, not sure what the limit is, if any. Could be the amount of ram in the system or who knows. You'd have to check out Microsoft's site for more info on this one smile

PostCast - we use it for our mailings. try to send out alimited number of emails per min, this will lessen the chance of OTHER ISP's putting u on their spam lists.

Depending on what email server the company uses they can create a distributiion list with all these addresses and then all you would have to do is send an email to the list name and the company's server will do the rest.

This will keep you from having to have your ISP make the changes.

If these people have actually requested information from you then great otherwise you'll experience problems with clientside spam filtering if you stick to BCC email broadcasts and the like. Why not use an online mailing list manager?

Shakedown - thnk u can shrinbk that sig a little using the tags?

as fr the list - be sure to get permission from YOUR isp if u can send it - we send mailing list of 30,000+ people heer (all registered) monhtly and we always get our ISP's SMTP servers.

Be sure to get their permission and their rules for legit mailing lists.

if you use a local SMTP to send out be sure that

1. It is asecure SMTP - other wise AOL / Yahoo and others will decline you and put you on their blacklists.

2. that a reverse DNS lookup on your IP somehow shows the domain owners information - some ISP's will not accept an email say from joe@blow.com because the hosted domain does not reverse DNS back to the proper IP address that being your IP instead of the domain hosts IP.

3. Make sure for AOL u have less then a %10 return rate or AOL will block u - as in make sure less then %10 of your AOL email address bounce back (bad, made up addys)

This is what i took note of when we got our IP here blocked by alot of people! cause i ddi things wrong the first time,.