Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

Router

Need some advice. I've been using a DSL router for a year now, but I think it's on it's way out. It's a Draytek Vigor 2200USB, you connect your USB modem to it. It was working fine for nearly a year but all of a sudden its started dropping connection intermittently, and it's getting worse. It's not my ISP, or the modem, and I havent changed my setup. Reading the Draytek forums, many many people are experiencing just this problem after about a year of use.

So anyone know of a good reliable feature packed DSL Router. With modem built in. I've found some that seem good, but what I like about the Vigor is the Dynamic DNS account you can enter. I have a no-ip DDNS account which I use to Remote Desktop into my machine daily. I need a router that offers this, but I can't see this feature on any that I've looked at. How do most people without a static IP use remote desktop or connect to similar services without a router that offers a Dynamic DNS setup?

Can anyone advice this, and a good DSL Router that does this?

BTW im in the UK so that may have some bearing on what Routers are available to me.

Thanks,

FREDDY

Most people use update programs like direct update. This is better then a hardware type because if the service updates or changes then you just have to install a new version of the update program instead of waiting and hoping that your hardware issues a firmware update.

most routers do offer a setting so you could let one or more of yours computer to be contacted from outside of the firewall. my friend here does it even with cheap Linksys and SMC router.

we have the exact same problem with our Linksys 8 port router at work. the connection keeps getting intrrupted for no reason. but the one i haved at home is not doing that yet (after 2 1/2 years)