Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nick601

Broadband on 2 computers with only one phone line

Hi

Hopefully i will be getting broardband in september

my dads computer is next to mine and we share the phone line to connect to the internet (2 56K modems going into a double phone line connector)

when broardband comes along there is an option from my ISP to have a LinkSYS thing? Which is a wireless network?? and allows 2 computers to access the broadban connection.

I do have (not connected at the moment) 2X netgear NICS and a Netgear Hub - wired network obviously) - could i use this instead of the LinkSYS thing? how would the router be connected to the 2 computers??

dont really know that much about broardband and the hardware associated with it so you might have to enlighten me!!

Thanks

Nick

I take it your getting a cable modem

Unless they are offering the router for free don't take it, and wireless is very unsecure even if you know what you are doing.

You can buy a router for cheap, like a linksys one, then the cable modem plugs into the router's wan connector, and your 2 machines plug into the ports.

Pretty easy to setup

I have a LinkSys 4 port DSL/Cable Router, non-Wireless. I would not recommend a WAP at this time as they can be tricky getting them working properly. Since the machines are close enough to each other, get the ethernet RJ45 kind wink

You'll connect either the xDSL modem or Cable modem to the LinkSys router and then out to both computers. Of course each machine will have to have it's own NIC, either onboard or a separate card.

I would bypass using a hub whenever possible, instead use a switch if you need to add more connections, but since the LinkSys reouter can come in a single port, a 4 port or an 8 port version, this should do nicely for you laugh