Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

Buggy HPLaserJet 2300 install

Our trusty HP6P was sent out for repair. While it was gone, we decided to buy a new HP2300. Installed the 2300's software using the supplied CD (v 1.0), but had to order a second CD; the center-hole on the original CD was off-center. Gave my CD drive fits.

Anyway, with help from HP, got the needed install files off the bad CD so we could use the printer while waiting for the replacement CD to arrive (v. 2.0). While waiting for the new CD, ran the 2300 on a USB port vs. Parallel (6P was connected via parallel for 12 years). With the 2300 connected USB, noticed the 2300 took from 12-15 seconds to print. When it started printing, however, it was very very fast.

Whent the 6P returned, I connected it via parallel and pressed "print". Printed in <4 seconds. Connected 2300 via parallel; it also printed in <4 seconds. Appeared to be a USB problem.

HP had me uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, shut-down, boot-up, erase files, etc., etc. etc...for 5+ hours. Other than to say that the USB chipset on the PC was outdated (Intel 82801AA USB), they had no answer. They also couldn't explain why, whenever the PC was booted (w/ the 2300 connected via parallel) that the New Hardware Found dialogue appeared, w/ a request for "HP DOT4.LPT". They were never able to get the 2300 to run parallel or quickly on USB. Any ideas? And, what is HP DOT4.LPT?

arent the new drivers available on the web?

the dot4.lpt is part of their driver set.

not sure if they had u install this way but for hp usb printers

u dont plug anything in until the drivers are loaded. then plug it in and "auto" install when it finds new hardware

Jerry Atrik ........."Jerry Atrik?". Took me a second. Cute!

Anyway, turns out it was either a Zone Alarm or NAV2003 issue. As a last resort, I uninstalled both, did the HP install; and, Ta Daaaaaaa!, clean install. Most likely NAV. Should know better at my advanced age.

Nonetheless, thanks for the response.