Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

Which of these 3 sets of RAM would you choose & why?

Go with a known brand.

Geil or Kingston would be the best bet and also A-Data RAM seems to run very well.

Ive never heard of this KOMUSA DDR RAM, you cant be sure its quality. Remember that RAM is a vital part of the system dont skimp on it, get a well-known brand name!

Corsair.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products.html

They only have 4000 but considering that anything past 3200 hasn't been approved by JDEC then I'd REALLY pay attention to any online website that have done benchmarks. I believe CPU Computer Power User had an article in their latest issue about memory benchmarks and I believe that XMS4000 took the win.

I haven't tried the latest brand yet but I've heard that they do very well in overclock situations + the heatsinks cool the ram considerably.

I've also been offline for a LONG time...except for brief excursions to check my email or whatnot so my info may be false....

Geil, OCZ, Corsair, Kingston Hyper X, and Mushkin are all good.

I've heard good things from Komusa but I would stick to one of the above from a good dealer like newegg, or zipzoomfly.com

Most are offering free shipping

As sapiens said all those are excellent brands, however OCZ has problems with the MAX3 at high voltages and refuses to work properley thats why i STRONGLY advise you to stay away from OCZ PC4000 and above.

Online stores have smaller overhead then a retail store, plus they make deals with shippers to get discounts.

Zipzoomfly.com, formerly know as googlegear.com is my favorite place to buy, although Newegg has some great rpcies too , they won't honor the free shipping to Hawaii, whereas Zipzoomfly only charges 10 dollars total

Its marketting hype.

Its saying that if you were to use this DUAL CHANNEL set @ DDR533 speeds you DO get 7.4Gb/s.

This is true of all Dual Channel DDR533 modules. Run em @ DDR533 in dual channel mode and you get PC4200 (4.2GB/s) x 2 which is actuall 8.4Gb/s.

They r taking advantage of the fact that its dual channel, whereas it is actually correct to market it as Dual Channel DDR533 (PC4200).

what is the point of having PC4200 if your mobo only supports upto PC3200?

I have 3.0GHz system and i find the stupid Maxtor diamond Max 9 as a real bottle neck to my performence when it is doing anything with the HDD. what difference does it really make if you are using windows or linux on slow 7200RPM Hdd's?

that SATA Raid 0 10,000 rpm sounds like a plan thou. i'll keep my dual 400 and try to get my hands on that. laugh

Edit: I have IDE raid 0 on one of my systems and it really works, and it is a lot more cost effective that those 36GB 10000 RPM thingees (But IDE is slower). 8MB buffer in a raid system may not make it faster (i think we have had this topic before on NTcompatible), but i have tested SATA Raid0 in Intel D865Perl mobo and ICH5 (2xSeagate SATA 120GB 7200RPM) and installed windows XP, they seem to be faster.

PC4200 is only for overclockers so you are sure its not ur RAM stopping you getting further, no CPU requires it yet.