Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Robc2000

DOS application causing max processor problems under W2K

Hi All

Newbie to the site here, so first off Hello smile

I am hoping that someone out there might be able to shed some light on this problem I am having. I've been working on it for about a week now and I am still no closer to working it out.

Small network with a W2K server and a few W2K clients. The server is hosting a old MS-DOS application which is shared out to the client (easy so far!).

When I run the MS-DOS application on the client (from the shared drive) the application starts ok then as it goes through it startup process the CPU utilization hits 100% and sticks there when the DOS app is in use (even if it is minimised). The processor only comes down again when I terminate the DOS application.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Rob

Quote:
Hi All

Newbie to the site here, so first off Hello smile

I am hoping that someone out there might be able to shed some light on this problem I am having. I've been working on it for about a week now and I am still no closer to working it out.

Small network with a W2K server and a few W2K clients. The server is hosting a old MS-DOS application which is shared out to the client (easy so far!).

When I run the MS-DOS application on the client (from the shared drive) the application starts ok then as it goes through it startup process the CPU utilization hits 100% and sticks there when the DOS app is in use (even if it is minimised). The processor only comes down again when I terminate the DOS application.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Rob

Is the CPU 100% on the client or the server?

This is just a guess...

I don't believe that DOS supports networked paths. If you try to run the app on the share drive and it has a directory hard coded in the application (i.e. tries to hit c:\APP) it will look for the directory on your client and not the server.

Sorry, yes the 100% utilization happens on the client.

Good point about the application I'll check that one out, however this used to work perfectly under Windows 95 (ok that is a true Dos enviroment) but it was the same share network drive and software.

Have you tried running the application in compatibility mode?

If you do not have the Compatibility tab on your shortcut properties, you'll need to register slayerui.dll.

Hi,

I had thought of that but I was under the impression that the compatibility mode only worked for "windows" applications? I have it enabled but the properties of the MS-DOS shortcut doesn't give me the compatibility tab frown

If you have a shortcut to the .exe, the compatibility tab will be there, assuming that slayerui.dll has been registered.

Compatibility mode is only for windows environments. If the dos app does this all I can suggest is a virtual PC solution. Either VMware or Virtual PC(Formerly connectix, now owned by microsoft)

Virtual PC runs great i've been using it since the early betas.

www.connectix.com will get you to it.

($199.00 last time I checked)

Another quicker, and FREE way to try is DOSBOX. Beware, one is free and open source, anothe rprogram called dosbox is shareware. Try the free one first.