Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duhmez

Windows 2003 Server (any variety) &/or Office2003 though

I like what I see. I love that it comes pretty locked down without all the n00b crap Xp has. I also Like that it has a built in firewall. (I hate software fierewals, they are too much of hassle. I like XP/2k3 firewall, click "protect me" and in background it protects from inbound attacks and doesnt popup a thing every time "svchost.exe" tries to access the internet. Also it works automatically with ICS right out of the gate.

I wish they sold a desktop model of it, it is what I would use. For now I stick with Win2k. Diehard fan of Win2k ever since RC2.

I'm running Server 2003 Enterprise edition, and here is what I found so far:

Favorite New Feature

Effective Permissions Tab:

really helps troubleshooting group memberships and permissions.

Command Line tools:

DSADD, DSMOVE, DSQUERY

You can check, add, remove Domain acounts in any OU. I really like the ability to make a batch file to add a big number of users and or systems to the domain. I could have used this many times in the past

The Manage your Server Wizard:

This is great for small businesses. Simplifies admin tools to one location, and adds another way of getting things done.

THe ability to run in NAtive mode for Domains with only XP workstations and 2003 MEmber servers, or the ability to run Mixed mode for compatibility.

I beta tested Office 2003 and couldnt wait to get the final

Outlook has a better interface and more options, but Frontpage is way better. WIth lots of templates and the split screen to view code and design, it makes for easy web page authoring.