Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jeryg

USB ports not detecting devices automatically on a laptop

hi all,

i recently got myself an ACER Travelmate 800 LCi, which is a great machine. the centrino is truly a nice thing.

i installed win XP pro on it, but a few things seem not to be working...

the main thing is that the USB ports (4 of them all USB 2.0) dont seem to detect automatically the devices i attach to them. mouse, digital camera... none would be detected. everytime i have to reboot the pc. after that it works though.

it is my first laptop though, and i discovered that there is an option in the properties of the USB controlers which allow the computer to disable the port in order to save battery life. i unchecked this option and it still does the same but i think that might be connected somehow.

anyone has got a clue ?

also, if anyone owns the same laptop, i would be delighted to know how he managed to install the internal modem for i seem unable to do it, even with the drivers provided on the ACER website...

last thing, but this is a little strange : everytime i reboot my laptop, the setting which defines the number of lines to be scrolled when i use the wheel on my wheelmouse resets to 1! its not a hudge problem but its still quite annoying smile i like my wheel to scroll 4 or 6 lines at a time...

thanks for reading.

Re the USB 2.0 I'm guessing you haven't updated your xp. You'll need Service Pack 1 for proper USB 2.0 support.

Also check the BIOS. On my desktop PC the BIOS has a feature that allows my USB to run in either 1.1 or 2.0 mode. When I upgraded to XP I had to enable the 2.0 support directly.

Hope this helps.