Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sinluan

DVD/CD-ROM Drives don't recognize DVD discs

There may be a simple solution to this vexing situation but I'll be darned if I can find my way to one. When I got my last video card (ASUS V8420 Ti 4200 128mb) a Power DVD software program came bundled with it. Program installs without a hitch (Win2K OS) and both my ASUS CD-S500/A & CRW-5224/A pass the diagnostic tests with flying colors. However, put a DVD disc in either one and they flat-out refuse to recognize its presence Tried using several different discs but nothing doing. Yes, I have set the region option for the program in case you were wondering.

My system has always performed flawlessly and I am careful to install the latest drivers for ht echipset, video & audio cards as well as O&O defragging it several times a week. ASUS A7V8X mobo, Athalon 2700+ processor, 1024mb DDR333 Corsair Extreme Low Latency memory, SoundBlaster Audigy2, and a pair of Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm HDD's. What do the Pro's from Dover have to say about this, eh?

So it's saying that the DVD's Macrovision is not recognized. Hmm, have you tried another Software DVD program? If not, try that. Personally, it has nothing to do with fragmentation. It has a lot to do with the DVD Codec.

This is exactly the issue as nebulus points out, both of those Asus drives are indeed CD drives with the one being a CD-RW drive. Neither drive will read DVD discs.

Most/Many graphics card manufacturers will include a DVD decoder player app with their cards, however in order to view/read DVD media you need at least a DVD reader wink