Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

RMA replacement drive

I RMA'd my WD200EB and wd sent me back a different drive but it's not a new one and the waranty for the replacement drive is only until 5/4/2004.

Is this ok or should they sent me a new drive?

They can send you what ever they want actually. Most likely you have a refurbished drive sent back to you as a return, sucks but not much you can do about it.

S

Just look at the label on top of the drive, WD always stamps a Refurbished print on this lable, usually at an angle across it in light blue coloring.

There is something else to note on WD refurbs, the company I work for does on occasion get refurbs from WD and we sell these at a lower cost to those that don't care how long the warranty is. We have noticed some of these drives have faulty spindle motors, mainly I think it's because WD only serviced the plater(s) and/or the control board rather then the motor which is pressed or screwed down to the aluminum housing. I have a feeling that the reason some of these drives failed to begin with was a faulty spindle motor and not anything else wink

The warranty only lasting until 5/4/04 is quite correct.

When you have an RMA the warranty is for your original purchase and not for the replacement unit - so no new 1/3 year warranty just because you've got an RMA.

If that happened everyone would return their drives about a month before the warranty was due to run out just to get a new one.

Hitachi have only got about another year to go and then finally the IBM HD's everyone seemed to have problems with will be out of warranty too.

With all of the problems with the IBM units, Hotachi would be replacing them indefinitely if new warranties were issued with RMA units.