Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

upgrade to xp and machine doesnt turn off :(

i had win 98 on a machine and when i shut it down it turned puter off as well but now i have upgraded to xp i have to press the power button to turn if off?!!?!?!?! any ideas why !!

thanks

Look at your Power Options in your Control Panel. If I am guessing correctly, there should be an APM tab, with an option to enable the Advanced Power Management. Tick it, restart and now your machine should shut down correctly.

I agree, I always back up data then flatline the HD and do a clean install regardless of the OS wink

The reason is the upgrade can leave remnants of the old OS and this can cause stability problems and other issues.

if i remember correctly the 98-xp upgrade screwed with the acpi. i dont remember seeing a fix other than a clean instal

Warning: this may hose your machine but probably won't.

Make sure ACPI is enabled. (Check mobo manual see if it has ACPI and or enable ACPI in bios if it is currently disabled)

if you have acpi enabled you can do this to enable it.

Goto device manager>computer> standard pc

Upgrade the driver to "acpi uniprocessor pc" and reboot. Reboot and windows will freak out and find all of your drivers again, and most llikely all will be well.

Dude... better late than never....

When installing XP (fresh), installation detects ACPI functionality of the mobo/bios.

I understand that XP/2000 is a lot fussier about ACPI compliance than win98 ever was, so if not FULLY compliant, may get installed as a "Standard PC" HAL instead of ACPI HAL.

To check, under device manager, computer, yours probably says "Standard PC, not "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"....

If so... bugger... you need to reinstall.

When install starts, and the message "Press F6 if you have a third party SCSI or RAID driver" appears, press F5... that's right, F5....not F6...

Choose a different HAL - you're after the ACPI one. Don't be duped by the menu that looks like you've only got two options... keep scrolling down and you'll see the one you're after.

Hope this helps and isn't too late!

Note - refer MS KB article 299340 for full detail.

Cheers,

Ben.