Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk

DDR2100 & DDR2700 living side by side?

Hi

I have 3 blocks of DDR ram that I have trouble getting to work. 2 256mb pc2100 266mhz cl 2,5 and one 512mb pc2700 400mhz cl 3. They are from the same brand Elixir. They work fine if I use either the 2 256 blocks or the 512. No matter which slot combination I use, the system will crash with in ½ an hour or so, usually while I’m stressing the system an open an Internet Explorer window.

The pc I have is based on an Asus A7V266E mb with an AMD XP2100 cpu. And set up the bios on default parameters, except for disabling the on board sound and unused IDE controllers.

Can setting the bios parameters differently solve this problem?

BTW Is it true that one should use ECC ram when blocks get larger than 256 mb?

Best regards

SK

Well the problem here appears to be the combination of CAS Latency timings, your 256MB sticks are CL2.5 and the 512MB stick is CL3.

If you change the BIOS settings from by SPD to Manual and force it to all CL3 then this may help out. I would also change the speed of the memory to PC2100/DDR266 instead of the faster PC2700/DDR333.

The reason is that most memory can underclock no problem but overclocking can and does cause problems, especially with a mixed bag like your config wink