Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kyber

Privateer/Priv2?

I tried searching, but found nothing helpful, so if this HAS been answered elsewhere, please forgive me, but I am really dying to play my fave space game of all time, and really would love to let my kids in on the joy that was Privateer as well.

I am new to this whole "compatability" thang, but can follow instrutions pretty well, and have some smarts, at least wink

So please, please, please... if anyone here can help me get these suckers rolling in Win2000 Pro, TWO generations of gaming enthusiasts will forever be thankful!

ICQ 452671

Thanks smile

Great, thanks!

Just grabbed that, with luck I'll be on my way as soon as I try it smile

I got it, and almost there! I installed Privateer, but am having a hangup with the EMS settings... since I think it doesn't actually use the old emm386.exe from dos, the option I see in the dosbox.conf file is simply "ems=true"... I need to set the ems to "ram" according to the docs with privateer... is there a way?

Should I maybe disable xms?

Has anyone here actually DONE this with Privateer before? (long shot, I know, but I am so close I can taste it, heh.. Privateer 2: The Darkening is next, I hope smile )

Good ol' EMM386.exe! Sorry, I haven't tried any Emm386 games on dosbox so I haven't encountered this - I'm gonna try some and experiment and see how to fix this. But, for now mabye some of the solutions some other people had may fix your problem.

#1: Master of Orion

"I got master of orion to work by editing my config.sys file by changing the device=c:\windows\emm386 emm286 to

device=c:\windows\emm386 RAM "

The above is user #7 on: http://gamebird.dk/games/community2.php/?gid=443

#2: Also, someone else has a similiar problem with Privateer (since their handle says "guest" I'm not sure if it's you posting - but I'll paste the link here anyway): http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2183

Hope some of that may help.

By the way, using DosBox - after installing Privateer into C:\Origin\Privateer for example... then once you initiate dosbox type "mount c:" at the prompt for the program to recognize c: drive... then you can navigate to the privateer directory normally.

L8R