Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Messenger Service unable to start error #2280

I can't start the messenger service on my XP Pro SP1 machine, keep getting error message 2280 (and the ms kb was of no help).

I don't understand what's gone wrong.

1. I checked the .inf file which installs the service and made sure that all the necessary files and registry entries were present.

2. I made sure all the dependant drivers/services were loaded correctly.

3. I am logged in as an Administrator.

The only other thing I can think of is a security policy might be in place that's preventing me from loading the service. (I don't know really, at this stage it's a total guess)! Is anyone aware of any security related settings that would prevent this service from loading, OR alternativley have come across this annoying error themselves and knows how to correct it?

I had that same problem today. Try to uninstall the Messenger.

Next, install a newly downloaded MSN Messenger 6.1, you may get another error, but don't panic. You will have to install again, you will get a message asking to uninstall or fix errors, choose fix errors. After that you should be good to go!

I hope this helps.......

TurboStorm smile

But my problem is with the NT messenging service as opposed to MSN/Windows XP Messenger.

If so what does repairing my MSN Messenger installation have to do with anything? (not trying to be rude, I'm just a bit confused about your advice).

there is a place in the group policy where u can turn it on and off. default is not configured (allowed to start)

gpedit.msc

computer config\admin templates\windows components\ windows messenger

unless someone manually changed it that shouldnt be the problem.

also the service is dependent on the plugnplay, workstation and rpc services so if any of those are turned off it wont start.

thats all i can think of right now

Nope policy settings make no difference, and as previously stated all required drivers and services are loaded and are working correctly