Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

Outlook Express freezes when starting

Wonder if you could help me with a problem I'm trying to fix on my Bosses computer! His 3 year old son was playing on his computer at work... he noticed "loads" of windows open... IE windows I assume. Now when opening Outlook Express 6, the application comes up but it then just freezes... can see the folder list but nothing else. Can only close it by ending the task.

The machine is Windows XP. I've downloaded IE 6 with Outlook Express, and installed it again, that didn't solve anything. I changed the registry to tell IE setup Outlook Express wasnt installed, then tried installing again. That didn't help. He's got 1.23GB of messages in lots of .dbx files in the Outlook Express storage folder, so I tried deleting most of them and then opening it... that didn't work either (I had backed them up so I reinstated them again wink )

Could it be a virus? I'm not sure of other fixes to try on Outlook Express with Windows XP.

Thanks.

FREDDY

Try something like Adaware and delete all the cookies from C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Cookies.

No, no joy at all. This morning it did work for awhile, after I had done a defrag. (computer was very badly fragmented)

I've tried removing any Ad-ware, removing cookies, virus scan, done a scan disk, a defrag, reinstalling...

Anyone got any other ideas please?

On another computer I'm getting emails forwarded from a Rule on that Outlook Express... so it is working (picking up emails)... just the screen hangs. The machine has 512MB RAM... and plenty of hard disk space so the 1.23GB of mail shouldn't cause it.

FREDDY