Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

knoppix

hi

i have a knoppix linux, i dont understand why i cant eject or unmount the cdrom??

knoppix doesn't need any installation!

could anyone help understand about knoppix please!!!

If you're running any of the bootable distros from CD, you'll find variations in how well they work with your particular machine and you really can't change much with the CD's configuration. Bootable CDs are a great tool, but quite limited. You might try another distro like Morphix, or Mepis to see if that works better with your setup.

Knoppix is a great bootable distro, but, when installed to the HD it has problems because it doesn't adhere entirely to the Debian standard. This results in incompatibilities with up[censored] from the Debian repositories. If you're thinking of installing to the HD, Mepis is a far better choice.

Maybe I an wrong, but if you are running Knoppix from the cd, the cd needs to be mounted so that data/apps can be loaded from the cd to ram. Rather than pulling data from the hard drive, you are only using the cd. Why would you want to unplug your cd?

i want too pull out my cd because i want to access files from other cd's but knoppix wont allow it.

and by the way how do i install it to the harddrive???

tnx for the reply!!!

As I said, their are limitations ;-). Knoppix or any other 'live' CD locks the drive.

To install press alt-ctrl-F1 then type 'knx-hdinstall'

Again, their are better choices.

That was the point I should have mentioned. When using the cd version, your cd IS your hard drive. Think of it this way...if you run Windows and disconnect the hard drive, what happens?

Be careful! The new versions of Knoppix do not support the knx-hdinstall method anymore. From the Knoppix hard drive install faq's;

"Note: Do not use "knx-hdinstall" anymore. "knx-hdinstall" is no longer maintained, use "knoppix-installer" instead."

See the following link;

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
Be careful! The new versions of Knoppix do not support the knx-hdinstall method anymore. From the Knoppix hard drive install faq's;

In which case there should be a link in the menus.