Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
berzurker

IE options being reset

Within the last couple of days, I've noticed my homepage being reset to a random search page. When I boot up IE, it redirects me to aaklb.dll in the Windows directory. I've tried just deleting the file, but it keeps reappearing. I've run Adaward and Spybot and they both didn't find anything. Anyone have any suggestions on what it is and how I can rid my computer of it?

You may have a virus infection. Download one of the free antivirus programs like AVG or AntiVir and scan your machine. Or, you can go online to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp to be scanned. You must have an old version of Spybot since it now comes with a component that alerts you when your Homepage is being changed. A program that works well with these kind of "takeovers" is Pest Patrol. While it is a subscription product, it runs in the background and protects you from your own curiosity when you go to Webpages that use the ActiveX vulnerabilities to implant programs that do more than spy on you; they change the registry entries and make IE open to a variety of attacks - some of which are very vicious.

Until you isolate the bug that bit you, download and install Mozilla and use it as your browser.