Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
windowsxpfreak

three problems

one when i am on the windows update page, internet explorer stops responding, it has done this numerous times, and it wont start responding again, and two when i am using internet explorer for more than 10 minuts it begins to use up 90-100% of my cpu, and i havent been able to stop that. and three occasionally internet explorer will close itself down without me doing anything.

Download and run the programs that Alec suggests. As to WindowsUpdater it really doesn't need any help in mucking up. The standard way of trying to fix it is to go into IE, Tools, and Delete the cookies, Files, and History.

In addition if you have added any toolbars to IE, they may also be a problem. Use a program like BHODemon to see if you have any programs that run when IE is brought up (browser helper objects.

When you go to Windowupdater, be sure that you know what is running in the background. Norton's (because it intrudes on the system intermittently) used to be famous for messing up the comunication.

I am not sure if you read what was written. BHO's are attachments to IE. They are not always picked up by anti-virus software or spyware removers. Spyware Cop and BHODemon do.

It may definitely be a windows problem. If it is, there is nothing you can do about it. But, if you have things running in the background, even antivirus software, how do you know any one of those are not causing the problem unless you systematically exclude them? Here is a list of program from Microsoft that cause windows update to stall:

Anti Virus Software

Norton Anti-Virus

McAfee Anti Virus

PCCILLIN

Web Accelerators or Download Assistants

Netzip

At Guard

Ilexia

Netgo

Get Right

Internet Boost 99

Web Cellerator

Net Sonic Pro 2.0

Micrografx Flowcharter 7

Fast Net 99

Web Turbo

Internet Boost 99

Web Early

Bonzi Buddy

Micro Surfer

No More Ads

Turbo Explorer

Did you delete the files, cookies and history from within IE?

We'll keep trying to help, if you'll keep trying also.