Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
l33t-g4m3r

usb PROBLEM

my usb devices are not working and i dont really know why.

i have 2 gamepads that are different brands and if i plug in either it does nothing.

nothing happens unless i unplug them, then it "finds the hardware" and says an error occurred during the installation of the device.

the installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

-just recently its been finding the hardware while its plugged in. but still does not work.

i dont know if that means i dont have the driver installed, but if thats what it means i do have the mobo, usb, and logitech drivers installed.

also, i noticed on the cd driver (nforce2) there is a usb2 driver, however there already is one installed that is a newer version.

file version on cd is 5.0.2195.5605, version i have installed now is 5.0.2195.6717.

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt win2k sp4 come with usb2 drivers? so what are the usb2 drivers on the cd for?

and i do have the latest nforce drivers installed for my mobo btw. and all the updates off windows update.

the strangest thing is that my mouse is usb, and its working.

however a while back i got really bad lag in ut2k4 when using the menus with it.

but it hasnt occured since i realized the mouse driver wasnt installed, and installed it. still.... very strange

could this be a defective motherboard? how can i tell?

and are there newer usb2 drivers out than the one i have now?

system specs shuttle an35n-400 ultra

1024 megs ddr 333

win2k sp4+updates

amd athlon XP 2400

rad 9800 pro

logitech wingman rumblepad

saitek p220 gamepad

The USB2 drivers are on the driver CD but have to be loaded manually, they don't load with the MoBo driver package. Throw in the driver CD, select browse this CD, you'll see the USB2 folder, just click on it & run install.

no use doing that especially since i said earlier that the usb2 drivers have already been installed.

but just to make sure, i have tried it, and that was not the problem.

i would also prefer to use the updated version.

it is the actual usb device that is not installing correctly.

there is nothing else that needs installed/updated.

if i have to resort to a fresh reinstall to see if this is a software problem i would like to know if there are any programs that can let me keep my old desktop settings and copy over the registry settings for my installed programs and games.

So are you saying that when you plug the gamepads in, they aren't recognised? What about if you go to USB Devices in Device Manager? Are they there, or do you have a couple of entries marked "Unknown Device"?

Did the gamepads come with any drivers? Because if so, generally you need to install the drivers before you plug the devices in (kind of goes against "Plug n Play", I know - but that's Microsoft for you). If you've already done that, have you tried installing them again?

Just a couple of thoughts

AndyF

We have had the same problem and it seems to clear if you un-install all usb ports and re-install. This is only showing up on some cases, we believe it to be a cable issue on the case.

awtservice@direcway.com

its not that the device isnt being recognized, its that windows wont install it correctly.

yes, i had the drivers installed first too.

logitech's drivers also have an additional detection setup, when you install them at a certain point it will ask you to plug in the device for the detection process, however even this does not work.

the wingman is not broken as far as i know, and i have another gamepad ive tested that will not setup either, its a saitek p220 and windows has default drivers for it, no clue why it doesnt work.