Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emperor1986

Zoltrix smart Cobra Lite

You know the problem. I have Red Hat 9.0. Since It is an HSF modem, so Linux does not support it. I live in a third-world country(no broadband), so I don't want to pay for a driver. especially 15 USd for JUST a driver from linuxant. Give me a free solution. And before you ask, I am not a freebie.

First, I think you meant to say that you are not a "newbie."

Do a search on this forum for your specific modem. You should be able to find a driver reference.

What modem is it?

If it is a lucent modem, for example;

See here.

Then follow the link to to here

Hold, please! Now back up a step...

Linuxant has a driver wrapper you buy so you can use WiFi equipment which have

only Windows drivers. It's their WLAN Driverloader product.

Conexant/Rockwell is the maker of HSF modem chipsets.

HSF modems have free drivers available from Linuxant, limiting them to 14.4kbps.

You pay Linuxant US$15 for full 56k and FAX.

It doesn't look like Conexant has cooperated with anyone to make a fully featured

free driver available. So it's not available.

Winmodem makers want to be certain you don't configure their universal chipset

in a way which violates the phone system rules and regulations in your country.

If you must have a winmodem using a free driver, then you must choose

one of the linmodems listed here.

Either that, or use an external "real" modem like this external serial modem (US$18).

Doing a google search reveals;

If it is Model FM-RIB3HC, then it is a Rockwell 20410-14 (two-chip) HSF chipset (ID # H4TFM-RIB3HC

1B9USA-33032-M5-E).

If it is model FM-5687/FMSFT56i, then it is either a Rockwell RS56/SP-PCI R6793-11P1 (single-chip HSF) chipset or Conexant RH56D/SP-PCI R6795-11 (HCF) chipset (ID # H4TFM-5687

1B9USA-27236-M5-E).

I have a Zoltrix smart cobra lite, as the topic says. I want free drivers because I think paying 15US$ just for a driver is stupid, I would pay for anything thats worth it, thats why I am not a freebie, you know, the people looking for free stuff on the internet, using p2p File-"Sharing"(everything I have in my mp3 collection I own or plan to own on CD). I have found the beta version of linuxant modem(perfectly legal) but being an ultra n00b I don't know what to do.

Understood. However, sometimes the cost of the drivers far outweigh the time and effort of findng the answer, then being able to make it work.

I finally broke down and purchased the Linxant drivers, as I have wireless on my laptop. The trial drivers worked and I figured that it was worth it.

Why I posted the data above was to make a point. Even a modem model series can have a different chipset driving the modem, as is the case with your modem brand.

So, you need to know the exact model number or ID number of the modem to know what to look for in a driver.

Another good example are motherboards. Different version numbers of the same model may need a differnt flash bios to update the board.

Physically looking at the modem and finding what the ID number or model number is (stamped on the modem surface) may be the only way to really know, if you don't have the box or manual it came with that clearly tells you this information.

I see this especially with folks in other countries than the USA. Laptops, for example, will have different hardware in them if you live in the US versus Italy. HP and Compaq are examples of this practice.