Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sgavich

Spilled Wine in My Laptop

I'm not sure if this is the right place but Help anyway. I have a Dell Inspirion 4150 which is a couple of years old (of course no more warranty -- must get those extended warranties my friends). Anyway -- the other night as I was turning it on to send an email the glass of wine in my hand broke and wine went into my computer. I turned if completely off and left it to dry upside down -- everything but take stuff out -- too inexperienced for that. When I took it to Best Buy service department they said my motherboard was probably shot and would cost tons of money to fix. When I plug in my adapter I get a green light but when I plug the adaptor into the computer the light goes out and I can't get it to go on at all. I tried calling Dell, but as you probably know its not know as "Dell Hell" for nothing.

Question: Is it worth having someone look to see if just one part got shorted out or should I just consider a new computer all together -- that is if anyone will give me credit to buy one. Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam

I spilled both Coke and Beer on keyboards which is a lot simpler than a notebook to disassemble and attempt to clean. I had no real success. There are several layers of stuff that liquids can get into. It isn't just the shorting from the liquid, but the deposit left behind is maddening to clean even when you can get to "where no man has gone before" inside those thin aluminum sheets. Think about a new computer.