Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
txloanchick77

Has not been set up for current user???? HELP

My PC came with XP Home edition (with WordPerfect) - Hate it! So I borrowed a friend XP Small Business Office. After strange desktop crash I cannot open any office application or file. It just tells me it is not installed for the current user and I need to set it up. To the best of my knowledge it was not the entire Operating System, just the office suite. Well my computer is known to do some weird things. I am the only user, but have sever folder's in my documents for different user name's documents. I have searched and prodded and poked and just can't find any solution. I have done a lot of work (especially in publisher) and cannot get it. I can see the documents and I know the programs are active. How in the heck do I get this remodied. I am about to throw this POS HP in the pool!

Do as Alex suggests though to really help you a lot more information is needed.

I am presuming that you are using XP as the operating system, but which "Small Business Office" are you using? They come in several flavors - 97, 2000, XP. But, given that, Publisher is not usually included in the Small Business package. Generally it includes Word, Excel, some include Powerpoint and Outlook.

My second question is "how did you install it?"

My third question is you spoke of a "small" desktop crash. Exactly, what kind of "crash" was it? Did it reboot? Did the screen just blank out? Describe what happened.

Go to the Control Panel and bring up Add/Remove Programs and see if the Small Business Package is actually installed. If it is there, you can actually click on it to repair the installation. It will call for the CD.

Since what you seem to want is a word processor that acts like Word for Windows, you can download a package called 602: http://www.software602.com/ which have two modules that act like Word and Excel. They cost nothing. If you want the Full Spell Checker/Thesaurus, it is a minimal fee.

As to Publisher, if it is not on your machine already, you will need to purchase it.

Upon learning floaties do nothing for my Drivers, I will not throw the computer in the pool. As far as the crash the desk top screen blacked out, as to what happened after that, no telling. Upon restart it wanted to reinstall drivers and all kinds of stuff. The program was Small Business XP that I installed from a disk of just the office suite. I know the programs are still on my computer I just can't get to them. For instance a publisher file I created, I can open it but seconds later I am told publisher is not installed for current user. I do not have any other users. I have never had a network or Windows NT near my computer and all that is on it now. When I go to open all users or the documents and settings there are other user folders, but how do I get to that user? Unfortunately, I do not have access to the CD anymore. I have a lot of time and work on the publisher files and word docs. I hate to lose it, but purchasing OFFICE is not an option either. I cannot spend 500 or 600 on software. Miscrosoft makes it hard on an individual! As far as my need for a wordprocessor and spreadsheet application, it has to be word. My industry specific software, Calyx Point and Outlook express use word as the editor. I cannot even spell check my outbound email. I am disguested with Fry's (where I purchased this POS HP. Who in the hell puts wordperfect on an OS? It is not compatable with crap.

Logging on as Administrator? I don't have any option as to how to log on. I am but a computer idiot please help. How do I get to the admin log on?

Some questions (apologies if they sound basic, I just want to clear up a few points):

HOW are you sure that the office applications have been installed correctly?

When you say you can open a Publisher file, what do you mean? Exactly what happens?

If you look at a Word file, or a Publisher file, in Explorer do they have the correct icons?

What are the other users in the "Documents and Settings" folder?

If there are other users names in this folder (apart from Administrator, All Users, default, and whatever user name you're using), I would consider taking the machine back to Fry's and asking for a replacement. It looks as though you may have been sold a reconditioned machine - unless that's what you specifically paid for (BUT if you do this, make sure you back up all of your personal files first)

Rgds

AndyF

I have pretty much the same problem - recently my computer stopped loading, saying C:\windows\system32\config\system was non existant or corrupt. Following advice from dell, my computer provider I replaced the files system, security, sam, software and default in that folder. now my computer is working OK, but I've lost loads of settings in windows, and I'm having the same problem with my office applications. I have noticed the appearence of a folder 'Owner.DC6HZ31J' in c:\documents and settings. This has only just appeared, and I definitely did not put it there. I also found that the registered user on my computer was set to 'Preferred User', and the computer name had reverted to what it was originally.

I presume certain settings - user names, company name etc. were included in the files I needed to replace, but beyond that I have no idea how to sort it out.