Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
termiflyer

Corrupt Registry Files

I have corrupt registry files on two computers in my household. Specifically, I cannot boot at all into Windows 2K Pro, and I receive the following message:

\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing

Here is some of what I have tried already:

(1) The system (no extension) file is missing. I copied system.alt to system ... upon reboot, the message still appeared.

(2) I attempted to use GetDataBack to recover the "system" file, but "system" came up as 0 bytes, unrecoverable.

(3) MS provides a registry repair utility using floppy disks. The repair failed.

I am looking for suggestions on how to recover my registry. I believe system.alt is a copy of my latest registry. Is there a tool that I can use that will load this file (or any file for that matter), interpret the file as a registry file, and repair?

I see that there are many, many registry cleaners/repair tools, etc. etc. However, as far as I can tell, they all run from Windows itself. I can't boot Windows, and if I install them on another machine, I don't want them to mess with the registry on that machine.

Any help is extremely appreciated!!

You have a few options, assuming you have access to another PC (which you likely do, as you posted here :))

You could use something like Bart's PE Builder, and create a "restore" CD and copy the backup that way.

You could use the recovery console, or reinstall with the "repair" option.

You could try to manually edit the registry with a tool such as this.

You could use Knoppix or a similar bootable Linux CD to perform the same tasks as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few questions, however. First, I have tried the recovery console and reinstall w/ repair option. Neither of those worked.

(1) With Bart's PE Builder, I'm not sure what you are suggesting that I should do once I boot to the CD. I can get a copy of the registry file (system.alt) by using another PC, but I believe it is corrupted.

(2) What are you suggesting I do with a Linux boot disk?

Thanks again!

Why waste so much time trying to solve the problem the hard way???, if after a few attempts you can't just make a image of your original disk, re install the OS and copy back the data...I know how frustrating is but is the most practical way...