Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
planlos

acpi - PLEEEEEASE help!!!

i got the abit bx6-2 and just updated to the latest bios.

im wondering now, if it's worth to switch on the "ACPI Enable" in Bios, and tell win2k 2195 to use it ...

what's the advantage of it for me?

any comments would be welcome ...

thanks

i did, btw, scan this board for 'Acpi', but what i found did not answer my question

I don't have an apm tab in my power options but the system always shuts itself off automatically, standby, hibernates, the whole nine yards. I have Acpi enabled on an Asus p2b for the record.

If you did'nt have acpi enabled in the bios when you installed it is'nt worth the trouble if you just want the puter to shut itself off. You'll have to switch the driver under Computer in the device manager to (ACPI) PC most likely, and probaly reinstall all of your system devices (Video, NIC) etc..

If you still want to do it, my advice is be carefull.

[This message has been edited by Jerry - (edited 03 February 2000).]

If you have an ABIT BE6, DON'T DO WHAT JERRY SAYS!

W2k will fail to load on the next time round!!!!!

It might have to do wit the fact that the UDMA/66 controller in the ABIT is external, and W2k "looses" the boot driver - don't know.

The only way I've been able to get ACPI to work on my machine was to explicitly tell W2k to set it up as ACPI during DOS mode install. When it says "Press F6 to load SCSI drivers" (or something like that) press F5 instead, and you get a menu of different systems you can install. Remember Win 95/98 install? Same sort of thing.

The catch is that if you need to force it to install ACPI AND you need to install a SCSI/UDMA66 driver at boot time, you have to write an answer file. Dig around on the CD under Deploy (or Support - memory loss!) for quite specific instructions.

Just to warn everyone (again), be careful when changing your computer type (in device manager) to 'ACPI Enabled' even if your motherboard supports ACPI fully. The bulk of the time it will crash your win2k at bootup without anyway to restore settings (safe mode etc. wont work).

2000 User - so you got ACPI enabled in Win2k with your Abit BE6? I've tried everything and still can't get it enabled. Tried setting in bios before install, hitting F5/F6 etc. during setup and choosing ACPI, still says that it detects that my motherboard is not ACPI compilient (when i know it is) ... any ideas anyone?

OK, so you "know" your mobo is ACPI compliant, and W2K says it isn't....I'd believe W2K.

MS have an ACPI H/W compatibility testing tool. Download that and run it before "claiming" compatibility.

Also, given that all enabling ACPI will give you is "hibernation" and auto-powerdown after shutdown - both BFDs - what's the point anyway?

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

CL TNT1 AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 120-day eval

Yuppiescum - you don't even need ACPI for hibernate/power off actually, I just find it annoying knowing the BE6 has support for ACPI and Win2k won't enable it =)

LuckyG - thanx looks helpful wink Will give it another try and see how it goes!

Um, if you don't need ACPI for hibernation/auto-power-down, then what DO you need it for?

Also, if the MS tool says your not ACPI compliant - you isn't. In fact, I'm feeling so generous I won't even trouble you to search the forum for the link...

The ACPI H/W Test tool is here - http://www.microsoft.com/HWDEV/acpihct.htm

As Confucius once said... "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

well i forced acpi on my box by changing it in device manager(show all devices and select acpi dual or single proc.) and on reboot got nothing and couldnt boot in safe mode so what i did was use the repaire install off the w2k rom and wala my machine booted again and it showed up as acpi all though i dont realy see a difference.

------------------

92% of what we worry about never happens.