Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Executioner

Win2k Adv Server Problem

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have just installed 2k adv server on a pute, it went through the install fine, but on bootup after install is finished, it stops dead, no bsod, no error, just stops.. it does boot into safe mode however.

specs of pute:

abit bp-6 with 2xceleron500

256mb ram

13g WD 66 drive (currently on std ide port)

3com 10/100 tx

2mb S3

40x acer

ide tr-4 tape unit

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Okay, i narrowed it down to that dam hpt66 controller on the main board, i installed the drivers from the hpt site under safe mode, so far no joy...

You have to reinstall the whole thing and install the driver for the HPT 366 controller during DOS mode install, at the point where it askes for SCSI drivers. I had the same problem (W2k Adv. Ser.) - Its just that W2k doesn't find the driver at boot time and fails to find the HD.

You have to format a floppy, make sure it ISN'T bootable (or you get a screwy "Unknown file system" error) and copy the drivers to it - ALL files. One VERY important thing - the hpt366.tag file is INCORRECT!! Its a text file that originally reads something like "This is a tag file for the High Point 366 Controller" - it SHOULD read exactly like this, no quotes:

"HPT366 Ultra DMA Controller"

Took me a damned 3 hours to figure it out. If you don't change the file, the install will insist that the diskette is incorrect!!

THESE COMMENTS ARE REGARDING HPT 366 DRIVER VERSION 1.22 ONLY!!

okay, tried all of that, including fixing up the tag line, re-installed 2k server, and it still hangs in the same spot....

anyone out there have a nice big rubber mallet... :))

is there any way to disable the hpt66 controller at all ???

I don't think thats yourproblem, I have a Bp6 which has the Htp 366 controler and i've never had thathappen before, it sounds like win2k is loadinf(or attempting to load) a present device drive and then halts. Btw what the hell do you need advanced server for?

well, i just tried std server, same problem, in safe mode under device manager, the only things that are crossed are the mass storage devices, even though i installed the driver at install stage. I am going to try professional next to see what result it gives me.

I was trialing adv for a corporate client, though they will most likely go with std server.

in the process now of going to safe mode and removing stuff, hehehe, why not stuff it up completely huh, lol...

i do agree however, there is a conflict in there somewhere, just gotta find it...

I'd doubt that a different release of the OS (Pro, Server, Adv Server, App Server, DataCentre, whatever) would make a difference, as they are all the same binaries - remember the NT4 reg key hack to make WorkStation into Server?

Unless the drivers are so crap that they'll only work on Pro...

Anyway, IIRC, one of the boot options when you hit F8 at start up is a logged boot - much like Win9x. (I can't say for certain 'cos I haven't rebooted in quite a while). Try booting with this and then read back the log file - it should give you a good idea where things are going wrong...

Also, there should be a BIOS setting for disabling any given bit of mobo hardware, serial, parallel, SCSI, IDE, etc . . .

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

CL TNT1 AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 120-day eval

Well, after two days of frustration, the problem is fixed, updated the bp6 bios to the new QQ beta, replaced the goddamned faulty video card (that was causing the problem, i suspect right from the start) and installed win2k server beautifully... Okay, try not to laugh too much guys... minor oversight, should have suspected a $40 video card to be the problem, sheeeesh....

I installed 98se on the box, and bang, that hung as well, same way... should have used the 'pull all bits, till you find the faulty one' to start off with...

needless to say, that video card did NOT get a nice funeral i can tell you..

Thanks guys for all your help, appreciate it..

Close this thread now, :))