Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keli

computer HELL

I am in computer hell. please gawd someone help me. I bought a brand new compaq presario in feb. it worked great for a long time, I did regular maintenance on it and kept it in good working condition. but a few months ago it started not loading pages and i would have to reboot every 15 or 20 minutes or so but now I cant do anything i cant even view my mail. I have tried scanning and fixing errors I have tried all the normal maintenance techniques but nothing has worked so I did a system restore, (actually several) that didn't help, then I did a system recovery after boot up, that didnt work and last but not least I did a full system recovery and I still cannot get my computer to work right. I used McAfee to scan my computer but it found nothing. to tell you the truth I am about 2 clicks away from pitching this $1,200 POS out the window. can anyone help? this thing is so bad i have to back up this message in wordpad so that I can copy and paste it back on her and add this page to favorites. any suggestion will be very valuable. ;( oh and btw, now i have to reboot every 5 mins or so. i can usually view 2 -3 pages then it stops responding and I have to reboot the puter.

You really need to give us a little more information about this machine. Generally, however, when you have one that boots intermittantly, it can be due to a heat issue, a memory issue, or a video card issue. These are hardware related rather than anything you can fix with software. Because it is an HP you'd best take it to one of their service centers locally.

I am not sure what information you need, but I will do my best and if you have any questions just post them here and I will reply if I know the answer. ok, the puter was purchased brand new in feb 2004, my OS is microsoft windows XP home edition, compaq presario AMD AthlonXP 3000+, 2.16 GHz 448 MB RAM. with a cdrw and a dvdrw. I was using earthlink software for my dial up service but the software was bogging my puter down so badly I had to uninstall it. I am not a very technical woman so, lol if you have anything specific you need to know just ask. thanks, Keli

Hey keli you could be over-reacting it could more likley be a software error more than anything! You say u done a system restore. Did you mean restore from a backup because that could be your problem. you may have a corrupt registry or have a virus. When doing the system restore did you format your Hard Drive at all and/or restore from a backup or just clean start from windows.

reply if you want to, i am only suggesting a solution.

Thanks,

Dragoonis

Thank you for telling us about the hardware, but I am more interested as to when the computer crashes. Is it only when you are on the web? How are you connected to the web? What browser are you using?

crashes only when I am online crashed once while coming out of hibernation that is when I did the first recovery, colors were all messed up so bad you couldn't see the icons. when I am online the pages open painfully slow I mean sometimes up to 20 minutes, but most of the time i get pages that say page cannot be displayed so I refresh over anfd over to get it to finally load. heat couldn't be a problem I walk around with icicles hanging from my nose most of the time the ac is so good. I am using IE6 i belive and I am using compaq software to connect to my earthlink account. the earthlink total access software was bogging my system down so bad i uninstalled it and that helped a tiny bit. hope this new info helps. Keli

Favorite quote: "Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I will take over!"

1) How are you connected to the internet? Are you using a telephone line connected to the 56K modem or is through an ethernet card attached to a DSL/Cable or a usb connection?

The ambient temperature of the room is not always relevant when it comes to heat issues.

The problem sounds like you are having a connection to the internet problem. You say the you are using "compaq software" to connect to your earthlink account. What "software" is that?

2) Right click on the IE icon and choose properties, then click on the Connection tab. Tell us how you are connected to the internet. How could you know if the earthlink total access software was bogging your system down if that is what you had been using previously? How did you know it was the culprit? What test did you perform made it culpable?