Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

FC2 kernel compilation

fedora core 2 doesn't readily support ntfs filesystems. i recompiled the kernel. why is it that when i run xconfig no letters are showing up its like encrypted so i tried menu config after the whole process of recompilation when i restarted fedora it got error and wont even continue booting up! what is wrong wih my fedora??

all i did is just execute these following commands:

make mrproper, make menuconfig. make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules and make modules_install. after i boot it my fedora got errors and doesn't continue to boot anymore.

What errors did you get on boot? A kernel panic?

The method used to recompile the kernel is slightly different in kernel 2.6. Did you recompile the stock kernel, or from source? make mrproper wipes the default .config settings in the kernel source directory, kinda like starting from scratch.

If you recompiled from source, you have to add all the modules that you need, or add the ones from the stock kernel by transferring the config file from your /boot directory to the kernel source. See the link that I gave below, but, if the original kernel config was config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl, then you would need to move and rename it to .config in the kernel source directory.

It also looks like you did not complete the install process. Did you manually edit your lilo or grub file at all to make a new setting for the new kernel, or boot from the same settings?

If you did not add the new kernel compile system.map and vmlinuz to the /boot directory (for example, the last step of the kernel compile should have been make install -so, the actual steps should have been (after doing make menuconfig);

make bzImage && make modules modules_install

make install

For a reference (if I confused you) see this link.

This should explain the steps.