Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
joejoe

Abit BE6 mainboard and Win2k

Ok, check it out!

I've got a BE6 mainboard w/ATA 66 availability. When I connect my harddrive to the pci it works fine. As soon I connect it to one of the ATA 66 ports W2k can't locate the drive and gives an error before starting up (can't locate boot device or something). I've tried using the drivers supplied by the manufacturer (win9* and NT), but it will not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Storage = Quantum KA

And I've update my bio's and harddrive to the latest firmware's.

Install win2k while your hd is connected to the standard IDE channel. Aftem install is finished, install the driver for the hpt366 UDMA/66 contoller (should be available from highpoint-tech.com ithink). After installed (you might have to do it separately for each UDMA/66 channel), shut down, switch your drive to the hpt366 controller and reboot. There may be an easier way but I've done this and it works. smile

Yeah, there IS an easier way. Give it the driver when it says "press F6 to install SCSI drivers" . . . in text-mode setup. Just change the contents of the hpt366.tag file to read:

HPT366 Ultra DMA Controller

and everything should work. Worked for me . . .

forgot to add - the diskette must not be bootable, or setup won't recog the file system! sounds crazy, but true . . .

and one more thing - you only need to install the driver once, not twice. It will work for both controllers. HOWEVER, for some crazy reason, you still have to install the driver AGAIN once in gui mode - the driver you add during text-mode setup works fine, but then gets lost somewhere along the way. You'll still be able to boot without errors, though.

[This message has been edited by 2000 User (edited 07 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 2000 User (edited 07 February 2000).]