Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milloctober

XP Shutdown shortcut doesn't work for users

I've created a desktop shortcut to shutdown the computer for users using the command:

shutdown -s -t 00

When I created it I tested it as administrator and it worked fine. When users try to use it, it will not work.

On another note I created a logoff shortcut:

shutdown -l

That works fine for both administrators and users.

Was wondering what might be causing the shutdown machine shortcut not to work for users??

I think for the standard user you have to change the shorcut properties to Run-As and then select the local admin account. It will ask for the password for that local admin account as well wink

Just right-mouse click on the desktop shortcut and select Run-As and make the change there. Retest and I bet it will work wink

Or, depending if this pc is a workgroup/domain pc, you can use local security policy/group policy to grant the shutdown right to the limited user/user group.

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
I think for the standard user you have to change the shorcut properties to Run-As and then select the local admin account. It will ask for the password for that local admin account as well wink

Just right-mouse click on the desktop shortcut and select Run-As and make the change there. Retest and I bet it will work wink

Tried that however it prompts the user each time for username/password. Any way to build that into the shortcut?

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
Or, depending if this pc is a workgroup/domain pc, you can use local security policy/group policy to grant the shutdown right to the limited user/user group.

Checked that and is is enabled by default. Do have a local computer policy in effect but can't find a setting for shutdown!