Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krucigen

explorer.exe crashes with .mp3 files????

Ok. Here's the scoop. Any and all .mp3 files on my system will crash explorer.exe whenever I right click on them, or highlight and delete them. Or highlight then go to Edit and use an action. I have scoured the internet and found nothing that works. I do not not want to format/reinstall windows. I just don't have that option. I have tried the sfc thing also... checked the registry, ran virus scanners... Only happening with mp3 files... I also can't do a system restore. Keeps telling me system restore was not successful. I am running windows xp home sp2. It says that explorer.exe crashed and the fault was caused in kernel32.dll. ?? I've been working at this problem for a while now and I can't think of anything else.

Please help!

Krucigen

Clearly there is a problem with the indexing of your files on the hard disk. This kind of thing happened a lot with W98 because the file allocation pointers were left open when renegade programs didn't close them. While chkdsk would fix this from DOS, sometimes it became critical. Anyway, this could be a symptom of a corrupted or damaged swapfile. You could try relocating the swapfile and erasing the old one and then placing it back to see if this will clear up the problem for a start.