Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Robb

Sims 2 compatible graphics cards. Is ATI 9200SE OK?

I'm looking at purchasing a new computer, as my old one hasn't a chance at running the SIMS 2 - the new game my daughter has to have.

Anyway, most entry level systems, in my neck of town, that don't have a built in graphics card use a ATI 9200SE 128MB card. I checked the ATI manuf. site and it says "SMARTSHADER™ supports Microsoft® DirectX® 8.1 feature sets" --- hmm I thought. The SIMS2 needs DirectX 9.0c.

So it got me thinking ... even though the ATI 9200 is supposed to be a compatible card, maybe it really isn't. Or maybe it works but suffers some performance loss. Or maybe the 9200 is OK but the 9200SE isn't?

Does anyone know if this card works? Any performance problems? Can you recommend any other cards in this affordable price range?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

I use an older ATI Radeon 9000 (64MB) and play Doom 3 on it ok, so I think the Sims 2 should work just as well!

I have the same problem as everyone else with the sims 2. i get the message "failed to fined any directx 9.0 comaptible graphics adapters". I tried most of the stuff that i see on the forums but nothing helps. I have the directx 9.0c and everthing.

my info

intel®82810E graphics controller Main driver:i8lxdnt5.dll

version:6.13.0001.3196

DDI version:8

Is my info not compatible and i need to download an up to date driver or is my driver up to date but not good enough for the sims 2 and i need a whole new card that i have to purchase from the store. i am getting really frustrated and confused and i think this is so wrong that maxis couldn't make the sims 2 to work with most people's pc's. If i can be helped, someone please, help me!!!!

Built in Intel graphics cards are simply too slow for DX 9 3D graphics. They're ok for Office type apps but not Games.

I am sure you can get a cheap and faster 3D card on Ebay or go for an ATI 9200 for £100 from shops...