Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kobedf

Sarge

After i tried to upgrade Woody with the Sid apps i rendered my sistem unusable.So i tried installing Sarge with the network CD - install which worked just fine with woody.But here i stumbled upon 2 problems

1.grub has an option for installing itself on the floppy disk.But when i try this it just doesn't want to work....it's like it doesn't know there's a FDD attached.I know there are other options but i wanted this one.Anyway i was able to skip this part ...nut not the second one.

2.I cannot connect to any mirrors.The network doesn't seem to be configured right . I found no option for doing this manually like in woody . What can i do . I am a computer in a 500 computer LAN.

There's no need for the PPP connection.

Please help .

Thanks

Ahh...the Debian learning curve. I really like Debian, but it is difficult to get right. What image/iso did you use to install Sarge, the official one or another? Do you have the latest Debian install image? The older ones had some bugs.

I seem to remember running into this on my sarge install. It seems that the grub device list did not add the floppy definition. Can you look in /bot/grub at the devices and see if there is an entry like (fd0) /dev/fd0...or something like that.

You can install grub to a floppy fairly easily, if there is.

So the newt install went ok, but now you can't connect to mirrors? Is this a dynamic or static connection to the LAN...on a school lan perhaps?

During the install, you can pass options to the installer to configure your network, say for a static connection. See the options here.

You seem to have the correct installer. Are you tryting to configure the network after the install has completed, or during the install?