Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stedolan

Connecting to a new domain

Hi

I've recently installed a new server running Server 2003 and created a new domain. All of my XP workstations connected to the new domain without any problems, apart from one. When I try to connect this one I get a message saying 'The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "mydomain": Access is denied'

I've created a computer account on the server and reset all the IP settings on the workstation, but this made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? The old domain was running on server NT4 if that's any help.

Cheers, Ste

Here's what I would try:

1. Dejoin it from the old domain

2. Delete the computer account on the new domain

3. Login to the local PC (should be a member of Workgroup, or similar)

4. Join new domain, enter domain admin credentials when prompted (A new computer account will automatically be created, this is why it's important to delete the old account)

5. Restart, attempt login

Also may be worthwhile to make a note if you have two DHCP servers or scopes to see what your IP address is, to make sure it's receiving as expected.

Followed your instructions but still unable to connect, the same message still appears. I only have one DHCP server and the IP settings on the workstation appear to be ok. I'd be grateful if you have any more suggestions.

Cheers, Ste

1. Make sure Client for MS Networks is installed.

2. Make sure DNS points to the Domain DNS (not some other)

3. Make sure the Computer Name conforms to correct Netbios naming conventions (no strange characters)

4. Delete any existing computer accounts. Or select 'Reset Account' on the a/c before trying to rejoin the PC to the domain.