Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TinyHeathen75

W2K IRQ issues

:x

I just had a new system put together. I have been running 2k as an upgrade on my old system without problems for a few years. As a full install on the new system though, it is leaving something to be desired. With ACPI support enabled in the BIOS I end up with all USB ports,onboard sound, onboard LAN, and AGP video adapter all trying to use IRQ 11. I read on the Microsux Knowledge Base that by reinstalling 2k without ACPI enabled in the BIOS I should be able to wrest control of the IRQ assignments from both the BIOS and OS. I have met with limited success, as now the sound uses IRQ 5 and USB controllers use 3 and 7. The onboard LAN and video card still want to use the same IRQ. This has caused me no end of trouble and I am about to scrap the whole system unless I can find an answer. Thank you all in advance for any help you might have for me.

ECS K7VTA3 mobo (chipset is from VIA Tech. not sure what one)

AMD Sempron 2.4 gig processer

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 400

thats strange... :S

why purge the entire system? maybe there is a BIOS flash that fixes the problem?

you should be able to force the two of them to use two different..

you tried setting the vid card to 15?

i always configure my IRQ settings manually and (if im not mistaken) 15 is the VID acceration IRQ.

im not sure about this however, but it works for me.

i found a guide to this problem for you, so i dont redender you completely in the dark.

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Resolve-IRQ-Conflict.htm

there, go a bit down on that page..

Best regards

Eirik

I have already made sure I have the most appropriate drivers and BIOS. The problem is that the PnP BIOS and OS dont see a problem with the onboard NIC, Sound, and USB ports and aftermarket Video Card all sharing an IRQ. Since Winblows does not see a problem it does not allow me to change settings. The BIOS claims it allows IRQs to be assigned, but really all it does is allow me to reserve IRQs for ISA use. This then moves all the stuff from IRQ 11 to IRQ 10, and sometimes the Sound drops to IRQ 5 and some of the USBs drop to IRQ 7 and sometimes IRQ 5 or IRQ 3. The major problem is the NIC and Video sharing an IRQ. Once again thanks for any help you all might be able to offer.

ECS K7VTA3 mobo (chipset is from VIA Tech. not sure what one)

AMD Sempron 2.4 gig processer

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (not 400 as mentioned in my last post)

HHMMM New problem....I managed a workaround on the original problem. I took the LAN card out of my old system and installed it on the new one after disabling the onboard LAN. Now everthing has its own IRQ in Bios. THIS IS A GOOD THING...LOL. The problem is now W2K is completely igoring the BIOS IRQ assignments and shoving everything onto 7. WTF!?!?!? Am I missing something here? I need HELP! Thanx