Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Starting With Mandrake 10.1

I seem to have created a little problem for myself and need some help. Everything has been working wonderfully with Mandrake Linux PowerPack 10.1 until now. I just installed StarOffice7 and have it working great. Since it is working, I went into RPMDRAKE and removed OpenOffice, since I no longer require it, with StarOffice.

Since doing so, when I restart the computer, I do not get the graphical startup....but end up forced to type in username, password...then enter startx to get the graphical KDE desktop. When I attempt to shutdown the system, I only have the option to logoff...not the graphical option to Logout, Restart or Shut Down.

Could someone please walk me through, step by step, how to get my graphical KDE start, so I do not have to go through the logon, password, etc. I must have accidentally changed something here, but not sure what or how to fix it. I am using the KDE desktop.

Thanks,

zenarcher

Try this. Once you login with your name and password, type in at the prompt;

switchdesk kde

If this does not work, take a look at this post.

I tried switchdesk kde but nothing was found. I went into etc/sysconfig/ but don't see desktop under sysconfig.

[root@localhost zenarcher]# cd /etc/

[root@localhost etc]# cd /sysconfig/

[root@localhost etc]# cd sysconfig

[root@localhost sysconfig]# dir

alsa dund i18n network rawdevices xinetd

autofsck firstboot init networking syslog

bluetooth harddisks installkernel network-scripts system

bootsplash harddrake2 keyboard pand udev

clock hidd mouse pcmcia usb

console hotplug msec printing userdrake

When I watch during the bootup, it appears to only go through Level 3 and not Level 5....any more suggestions??

zenarcher

Well, I figured out how to fix this problem. I went to /etc/ and opened inittab to edit. I had noted it was starting at level 3 instead of level 5. Changed the entry from 3 to 5, saved and restarted. I am now happily back to where I was originally, starting the system and automatically going to the KDE desktop. Guess I'm learning little by little!

zenarcher