Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rikku

i need your help!

hi, im new and i live in NZ. ok i have mandrake linux comunity 10.0 and everything was fine till i found out that i couldn't connect to the net because the module for the modem was not found in mandrake's control center. i have the drivers for that modem for linux but i don't know how to install it. im using a pragimac (sp?) 56k (yes im on dailup) version 92. i am not with AOL, the modem is internal and im a newbie when it comes to linux and the rest of the hardware was found and the modules are fine for them, its just the modem. im currenty using my mums computer to go online but i want my computer back!

thankyou for reading this laugh

Rikku

We need a little more information. Is the Pragmatic the usb, isa or pci version of the modem?

The drivers. What is the file name of the driver that you have? Or better yet, where did you get them?

The easy answer is to get a linux compatiblr modem, a so called hardware modem.

This modem is a soft modem. it may work in linux with some effort, but the easiest solution is to get a hardware driven modem, one with the chipset on the modem itself, rather than one that uses the motherboard resources to drive it.

the answers. pragimac is the brand of the modem, its only a few months old and its sloted in a pci slot.

the driver is on the cd that came with the modem that also has the drivers for windows and mac.

the file is located in the CD under a tar file. i have taken snapshots of the folder.

http://www.imageheaven.net/userfiles/rikku/filesmodem.JPG

http://www.imageheaven.net/userfiles/rikku/inside%20that%20folder.JPG

i can't open a .tar in windows but if u need me to i will open it in linux and try to bring snaps because everytime i save a picture file, it comes up as file in windows.

What I come up with is the Pragmatic modem. The snapshot was helpful, thanks.

This driver is built for the 2.4 series kernel in Linux. I bet you have installed the default 2.6 kernel? If you are not sure, type in uname -r in a console and see if the output is something like... 2.6.xx-mdk.

See this article.

I do not know what the status of these modems is in Mandrake, perhaps someone else has an idea. But, I bet that there should be a fix somehow.